The story of my trip

We’ve been home for a week now. I’ve kind of worked on this here and there, between catching up on my work, recovering from the jetlag and things like that. But anyway, we left on a Friday evening, and our flight was delayed. I’m not the most fond of those long flights. That first stretch was ten hours. Remember that we got our breakfast shortly before landing, and then we got to the next airport as the sun was setting. I had never been out of the country before, and that was just a really weird feeling, to lose time like that. Got on the next plane and ate dinner.. That night we met with some of the people we were meeting with. Sunday we were meeting the other people that were going to meet with, and were getting familiar with the area. Looking at the grocery store and things like that..

Monday during the day was a lot like Sunday. we gathered at the restaurant where we would eat each night night, and ate. And then went to the hotel conference room to meet. Tuesday we started meeting after having our big breakfast. We’d meet in the morning. Breakfast they would have eggs, bread and jams, sausages, I’d always eat yogurt and something that was kind of a mix between granola and raisin bran. Break for lunch. The hotel had a buffet for lunch too. But Mom and I would just eat something in the room. We had a big breakfast and big dinners, we didn’t want anything big at lunch. Mom and I would eat our little lunch, I would rest a little and then we’d go down. The hotel people liked to make sure I got walks each afternoon. It was funny but I was more comfortable when someone I knew came. We would have afternoon meetings.. We had some issues with some of the plugs not working right. The best plug we had was in our room. Because of the charging troubles I was leaving this and felt like I wasn’t getting to know anyone. And the people I did know were the ones putting this thing on. They were busy. We’d have another break before dinner. I’d rest. Sometimes we’d walk. Dinners were fun but kind of chaotic. We’d have our evening meeting. And then I went to bed. Wednesday was a lot like Tuesday, a lot of meetings and all that. Wednesday evening I did get sometime to visit with some of the friends I went to see and enjoyed that…

Thursday was the day.. See, the conference leader would have different people introduce themselves as our meetings started. Thursday was my day to be introduced… Let me say here that I didn’t know what my second week would look like. Mom had been vague. Turns out they had a surprise for me. I was going to Israel, to Jerusalem. There is a woman in Cyprus that had lived in Jerusalem for years. She was going to be our guide. She also knew a woman that welcomed us into her home. but I’m getting ahead of myself. Thursday was the day people started talking to me more. Before this I think most people thought I was just there because I had to be with Mom. Thursday was more meetings and more walks. Friday was the last meeting in the morning. I spent most the rest of the day with friends, both old and new.? Friday night a much smaller group of us went back to the restaurant.. Saturday was a day of saying good-byes and just being quiet. Taking more walks.

Sunday we had the last hotel breakfast and then a group took us to the airport. The flight was pretty fast. Our guide knows a taxi driver who met us in Tel Aviv onto Jerusalem. It was so nice coming into a home after being in a hotel.. We got our stuff into our places and then went to a church meeting.. The songs were half in English and half in Hebrew. Thought it was neat.. After the meeting, our guide took us up to a place where we could see a lot of the city. We saw a lot of the places seen on tv.. After that we went and had a nice dinner with our host and some other friends.. I think Monday may have been one of my favorite days. The first thing we went to do was to go to see the market. This was a huge place, full of breads and pastries, dried fruits, huge vegetables, made me think of when the Israelites first went to Canaan. I think the three of us went to the apartment, or flat, to get warm, Jerusalem was a lot colder than what I’m used to in Georgia. That morning was also pretty wet. We walked to the old city after that. I’m guessing the place we were staying was about a mile or two from the entrance of the old city. That afternoon was the prettiest weather wise, and I loved seeing the city without a car.. Of course I wasn’t walking.. We saw Christ church.. Jerusalem seems to be full of shops, shops selling food, shops selling jewelry and art and all kinds of crafts.. We made our way down to the Western Wall. There is this huge hill you have to go down. And sadly as we were going down, we could hear the Muslim call to prayer. That is something I think I’ll always remember. And before going, I thought the Wailing wall would be this narrow space. Instead it was this huge outdoor court. People would sit in these white chairs.. And we didn’t follow this tradition, but most people do not turn their backs on the wall.. We walked back to the flat. Our hostess made us another nice dinner, and then we four ladies watched a movie.. Tuesday was the day we had the taxi, so we explored farther parts of the old city. We saw one of the places they think golgotha was. I’m embarrassed to say I wasn’t sure what we were looking at at first. But the empty tomb I did get. We also went to the garden of Gethsame. That afternoon was a quieter time. I did some work stuff.. That evening was another nice dinner and a movie. Wednesday we made one more trip to the trip to the market, and then got ready and headed to the airport. The rest of the day was spent traveling..

Thursday Mom had met another friend who was in Cyprus. We met with her that morning. And that afternoon and evening we were with our friends. Loved the time in the evening because it was a time with just the people we know really well. And it was just a time to hang out and visit. And then that Friday was another long day of traveling.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s