I had an absolute blast on my big trip overseas. However, being in the airport, and on the long flights did get boring. And I’m an adult… Children tend to try to make their own fun when they are bored, which can get loud. But if parents discourage the fun, things can get loud too. And that’s no fun for, or for anyone else on the airplane. I know some people believe in the power of Benedryl, but for those who do not necessarily want to sleep, here are some other ideas.
- First bring your IPads or Kindles and let your children play on them. Yes, it’s nice if you have a communication device for yourself as well. There will be a screen in the seat ahead of you that will allow you to watch movies or play games.. That is, you will have these on your longer flights. But you will want to keep your children as content and quiet as they can be.
- And please, bring your headphones. No one else wants to hear your child’s favorite cartoon playing over and over again. If your children do not want to wear headphones, they can play their games quietly. Personally I had trouble keeping headphones on. Watching movies with subtitles works okay.
- No one likes to be kicked in the back. Have children keep arms and legs to themselves. Most everyone will understand being jostled when you have to get to the bathroom, but try to even keep that to a minimum.
- Boredom is not the only reason that children get cranky. Pack snacks.. But you will want to be careful what kind of snacks you take. Don’t take things that will be hard to eat or messy. You will also want to take snacks that your children will enjoy.
- And please don’t ignore your kids when they start to act up. You’ll want to do your best to nip it in the bud.. On going crying or shouting is one of the most annoying things on an airplane.
I would love to know your thoughts about this.