I am going to work some today and tomorrow, although I’ve already decided that I’m not going to do a lot, but I am going to take off a little more than a week off after that. I can really tell that I need to step back and take a break.
Today we are going to take a look at Vienna and some things you might want to do there. I’ll be honest, the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of Vienna are some novels I read about World War II, that were set in Vienna. They were wonderful books. But this blog is about travel and not about reading, so let’s get down to business.
Vienna has always been a center for the arts. Do you like touring great art galleries during the day, and then going to an unforgettable concert or opera in the evening? If that sounds like an amazing vacation to you, you might seriously want to try Vienna.
Okay, so you are considering it, when would be a good time to go?? Well, spending the holidays in this city is fun. You’ll be enjoying the holiday markets as well as all the fantastic culture that they have here. This is a great city to go to on a river cruise.
We’re always talking about traveling with children, and how to make that experience go smoother. But what happens when those children grow up, but you still want to vacation together? Here are some tips that just might help.
- With younger children, giving them a figuring few choices along the way, and may make them feel like they are part of the planning process. With adult children, you are equal partners in everything. You need to discuss everything from where you are going to go, what I you want to do, and how much everything will cost. Discuss what everyone is hoping to get out of the trip, and try to fit in what is important for everyone.
- You will also need to discuss who’s paying for what before your trip, discussing each person’s expectations. Might you have a rule like if you are in college, parents will pay, but if you are working we want to pay at least part of the expenses. You will want to discuss this kind of thing before the trip, so that you will not have that to deal with on your trip?
- Your children are now adults living their lives. Most young people would rather sleep in and stay up late. Give them choices about when and where they want to eat. Let them tell you what things are important to them and what things are not. Be flexible.
- Everyone doesn’t have to do everything everything at the same time. Some people might want to spend most of their time at the beach. Other people had would go crazy if that was all there was to do. Some of the siblings are going to be closer than others. They will want to do more together. Others may need to spend sometime by themselves. You’ll find that everyone will be happier if you just go with the flow.
- Sometimes parents think that children would rather be without them. This may or may not be true. Your children may want that time with you just as much as you want it from them.
Let’s look at some more things that you may want to keep in mind when you are on your multi generational cruise.
- Part of the whole reason for this cruise is for the grown ups to catch up, isn’t it? The good news is that most cruiselines are going to have designated places that will be for adults only. Here you will find quiet pools and whirlpools where you can relax and maybe enjoy some adult beverages.
- You are going to want to enjoy at least one adult evening where you will enjoy a nice dinner at a specialty restaurant and then go catch a show.
- I am from a family of eight, and then several of them are married and have children of their own. I’m guessing that we might take five rooms if we were to go, don’t think that will ever happen. But say you have several siblings, and then you and your siblings have children who are now adults. Usually if you get eight or nine rooms, you’re a group. You may get extra perks like maybe a a meeting room.
- It may be wise, at least when you are starting out, to cruise pretty close to home. If everyone is spread out, meet up at the person’s house who is closest to the port, and then drive together. Driving together is going to be way more cost effective than flying in most cases.
- Most families have people who have a lot of different tastes when it comes to what they like to do. Cruises are going to have a lot of different activities that everyone can enjoy. Maybe some people want to play basketball, other people will want to hang out by the pool, and still others may want to take a cooking class. Do what you feel like, and then gather together in the evenings to share the fun.
Everyone is so busy these days. Children grow up and get married and move away from the place they’ve grown up in. Siblings end up in different parts of the country, if not the world. Planning a vacation that includes everyone is an ideal way to catch up. Let’s look at some tips that will help you plan a great cruise for this kind of trip.
- Cruises are pretty much all inclusive in nature. This helps families avoid the “Who’s going to pay for what” discussion at every meal and each activity you do together. This also helps each individual family know how much they are going to pay for the trip. You can decide who’s interested in doing extra things, like specialty restaurants and spa treatments. Sometimes kids even sail for free.
- We love our children, but sometimes we need a break from them. OnAnd sometimes they need a break from us. Most cruises that are good for families are going to have some kind of kids’ club where families can leave their children for a good portion of every day. Most cruises are also going to have to babysitting options so that adults can enjoy the nightlife. That is, if grandparents don’t want to watch them.
- Teens have their own ways to have fun on a cruiseship?. They will have clubs where they can hang out with their their own kind. They will have parties of their own in the evenings.
I am going to be starting a much needed time of vacation in exactly a week. And I think it is going to be a little over a week. I haven’t taken a vacation this summer and really feel the need for one.
We’ve all at least heard the stories of children who would not stop crying while on a flight. That can make even a short trip feel long. No one wants to be that parent who has the crying child. Today let’s look at some things to do with your children while you are flying that will help you avoid being that parent.
- Children love getting gifts, doesn’t everyone? Consider picking up a few little gifts that will help keep them busy. Have them open them one at a time and play with them quietly in their seats. And remember to take some gifts, or get some while you travel, for your return trip.
- You want to bring coloring books and crayons on your trip, and have them accessible while you are flying. I know some children who can color for hours on end.
- More and more, even little kids have their own Ipad. Make sure to get some new games and movies for their flights. This too will keep children busy for several hours. This might be a good idea for yourself too.
- And then there is always good old fashioned reading. Bring books for them to read. Go on and work on that summer reading list that the school sent was home, but no one ever gets around to.
We are now into August. Have you taken a vacation yet this summer? If not, is the reason because you hate planning trips? If that describes you, you will want to read on. Part of the beauty of vacation is that you don’t have to do much of anything if you don’t want to. Some people would be perfectly fine to find a hotel that has a nice restaurant and a pool and just chill out there for a week or so. Sometimes you just need to get away and nothing for a while. Your body gets tired of doing the same thing day after day. You get bored.
- First of all, what is your budget for this trip? If you’ve been saving up for a trip and feel like doing a little splurging, go on and do it. Find a nice resort and just go and chill. Or go on a tour. Joining a tour should take very little time to plan. All inclusive packages also take little work and might be more cost effective. You will just have to read over everything to make sure that you know what is covered and what is not.
- Solo travel is getting more and popular, but is that something you are comfortable doing? Only you know the answer to that. If you are not, and don’t have a family you’ll be traveling with, consider asking some friends to go along with you. Surely you can find some some friends who need a break as much as you do.
- You may have the time, may need to make the time, to visit the place you’ve always dreamed about going, but you may be planning your trip at the perfectly wrong time of year. It may be too hot to visit this place. Or maybe this is when all the locals take their vacations, so that all the restaurants and everything are shut down. Do some research on the internet and figure out where is a good place to go.
Disney is a magical place, not only for young children, but also for their families. Where else can young children see their heroes up close and personal? Let’s take a look at some other tips that might help you as you plan a trip to Disney World.
- This is a huge place, you are going to want to bring a stroller for your little ones. There is no way they’ll be able to walk everywhere. If you fly, airlines will allow you to bring a stroller at no additional cost. If you do decide that you do not want to bring your own stroller, Disney has them available to rent for fifteen dollars a day. Be sure to mark your rented stroller in some way before you go on your rides. There will be hundreds of other strollers just like it at the parks.
- Okay, so how are you going to eat while you’re playing at Disney? They do have several different kinds of meal plans that are available. Disney has sit down restaurants as well as fast food options. You can choose one or the other, or a combination of both. There will be a lot of restaurants you can choose from. And you’ll probably find that you are going to spend about the same on a dining plan as you would without if you are mostly eating at Disney.
- Don’t leave home without your My Disney Experience App..You will be able to do a lot of different things with the app. From scheduling your FastPasses, to making dinner reservations, and managing your PhotoPass account. This will also work as your room key if you are staying at a Disney Resort. You can also check on how much waiting you will have to do at each attraction.
- Now how are you going to get that parks? Again you are going to have several options. Disney has shuttles that will take you to and from the different parks. This will require some waiting on your part. Uber, or something like that, will mean less waiting.
- Disney is magical for sure, but that doesn’t mean that it never rains. This might be the perfect time to ride the water rides. It might also be a great time to relax and watch the movie, Disney of course.
- Disney World is nothing without their characters from all of their movies. You will want to make sure that you meet all your favorites. The most convenient way to do that is to do Character Dining. You will be sure to meet everyone that way. Unfortunately, that can get expensive, so you will only want to do that with your most favorite characters. You can also meet characters throughout the parks different stations.
Planning a trip to Disney can be a lot of fun. It can also be very overwhelming. Friends and family who have gone before might be able to help you, or they might make it more confusing and overwhelming. There is just a ton to see and do there, and so you will have to figure out what the most important things to you and your family are. Doing your preparation before you leave is going to save you a lot of stress and hassle.
- The first I would recommend would be to keep this trip a secret from your children. My brother did this. His girls thought they were going to school like any other normal day, but my brother put on a movie for them. And it was a while before they figured out that they were going anywhere special. This is a great surprise for any little people. Keeping it a surprise will also help you avoid the million questions of when you are going to leave and all that.
- You know your family. You know the things your kids are going to be interested in. You also know when and how often to plan breaks. There are a lot of tools that will will be available for you online. One great thing for you is Disney’s maps which are quite detailed, giving you the price ranges for their restaurants, height restrictions on their rides, and more. The maps are also going to help you avoid doing as much walking because you know exactly where you are going.
- You might want to ship some of the stuff you’ll need to Disney before you leave. Having snacks in your room is going to be very helpful for kids who are hungry now and aren’t going to be happy waiting until you order dinner at the restaurant. They will even put your groceries in the refrigerator for you.