I’m working around everything else my family has going on. The holidays are a crazy time of year for us too. I’m almost sure Thursday is going to be my last day until after the holidays.
- If someone is asking for one of those hoverboards for Christmas, you will save yourself a lot of pain by getting them a gift card to be used once they get home. Batteries on planes is a big headache. The security people also do not like anything motorized that you can ride.
- Okay, technically drones can make it through. HOWEVER, be warned, different airlines are going to have different policies. And you may be dealing with different states or even countries.
- Yes, I know that perfume and cologne are very popular gifts to be given they can be expensive, and getting that one bottle a year could really help someone out. But these are liquids, so unless you want your gift confiscated, give a gift card.
The security agents at the airport may seem like the world’s biggest Grinches, but try to remember that they are there to keep everyone safe.
- Do you have someone in your family that just loves collecting those snow globes? If they are traveling home by air after the holidays, you will want to get their something that is no larger than a tennis ball. Anything bigger will be confiscated. Anything taken on an airplane will need to be kept in a quart plastic bag.
- Those Magic 8-Balls? They’ll never make it through security. So just don’t bother giving anyone that gift.
- And be sure to put your cigar cutters into your checked bag. These are items that are usually allowed, but agents are given some leeway there. So it’s better to be safe than sorry.
- Okay, this seems a little ridiculous to me, but remember that they are just protecting everyone, kitchen gadgets may also get scrutinized. This is especially true for knives and things that might possibly be used as a weapon. And remember, you may be the most trustworthy person on earth, but you never know who might try to take something from you.
- And then we have batteries. Are you and yours looking for electronics for Christmas? Then again, who isn’t? The regulations on batteries are ever changing. Just wait to get your batteries until you are safely home.
Today let’s look at some gifts that you will want to be more careful with if you happen to be flying for your holidays.
- Um, this should be obvious, but give your security people a break, and do not bring weapons on board. If someone is dying to get their Red Ryder? Buy it when you get to your destination. Or is the gun lover going home with you? Give them an IOU for when you get home.
- And no, security does not even like the fake guns. They still make them pretty nervous. You’ll avoid a lot of hassle if you do not bring anything like that. You’ll be surprised at what all they might frown upon
- They don’t like wrapped gifts either. Okay, let’s remember that some people might wrap a bomb in a beautiful package. The security people do have their reasons. The best way to avoid this is to just put everything in gift bags.
- You will even need to be careful about which foods you bring home. They are going to consider anything spreadable or pourable to be a liquid. And liquids can be used in bomb making.
- They may have mercy on you if you bring some of Grandma’s baking. But if you love her soups, try to get enough of that while you are visiting. Did someone give you a bottle of fine wine for Christmas? Go on and enjoy that while you are with your family.
Let’s get back to our discussion on holiday travel. I would love to know what you are doing for the special time of year.
- Are you at all flexible in your holiday plans leaving home the twenty-sixth and returning after the fourth is going to really cut down on traffic, no matter which way you travel. Want to have no one in your way when you travel? Travel on Christmas Day itself.
- Do you have transportation to and from the airport? Might it be nice to have a hotel because of an extra early flight? These are the things you’ll want to be figuring out now.. Wait, your flight is booked, isn’t it? If it isn’t, I would seriously consider driving.
- Are you gifts packed? You should not wrap anything until you get where you are going. Nothing will be pretty if you do. Or do you want an excuse to shop with your family?
Things have been crazy, but I think I should be on a normal schedule tomorrow. Holiday travel is crazy. Let’s look at some tips that might help.
- The less you travel, the more time you will need to plan. You do not need to have a crammed packed schedule. Take the time to rest.
- Being stressed is the last thing you want when you are on vacation. When something happens, learn to laugh it off. Look at everything as an adventure.
The holidays are coming. Everyone and his brother is going to be traveling. Today let’s look at some etiquette tips that might help make your travel a little better.
- An airplane is not exactly public property, but it is not private property either. Ask the people behind you if it is okay if you lean your seat back. The airplane is probably not the place you want to go barefoot. They clean the airplane after every flight, but still that is just gross
- . Be sure to lock door when you are using the bathroom. That is just the proper thing to do. Do you want someone walking in on you while you are doing your business? Also, do your best to leave the bathroom as clean as possible.
- Sound carries well when you are in an airplane, so please speak softly. You will be were glad when others do the same. Sitting and chatting with family or friends is perfectly acceptable. But please remember that other people may be trying to work or sleep.
- Obey the flight attendants and other personnel. They ask you to do things for your safety. Use the compartment that is above you. Wait your turn when you are getting off.
Today let’s look at some ways you can save money on a cruise.
- Okay, when you go on an inexpensive cruise, you are going to pay pretty much for the excursions they will offer. Do your research before you leave on your trip, and plan your own excursions. Or if I help plan your cruise, I can help you plan those as well. Are you going to fly to your cruise port?
- Do you want to stay the night before you leave? Do your research and plan everything out. Or again, I will be more than happy to help you plan everything.
- If you are going to fly, thus being without your own transportation? They will want to take the bus. Taxis are pretty much always going to be more expensive.
- Some drinks are going to be part of your meals. Others will not. Be sure you know which is which.
So where do you want to go to celebrate the holiday season? I would love to hear about your plans.
- Have you ever dreamed of going to London? Why don’t you head there for the holidays? The Milestone Hotel and Residences is offering a holiday experience that comes complete with gifts. You will receive a holiday drink once you arrive. There will be a stocking for you on Christmas Eve. Their restaurant will be serving holiday favorites, and there will be activities for the children.
- If your favorite part of the holidays is the food, you might want to consider going to Italy. There will be lots of good food to be had. You will be able to have a multi course meal on both Christmas Eve and Christmas. There will also be an extravagant meal on New Year’s Eve.
- Or you might want to go to New Orleans for Christmas. Windsor Court Hotel is going to have a lot of decorations. You will also be able enjoy a great tea
I have shared some things I like about this time of year. I would love to hear about some of your favorite traditions of the Christmas season.
- Have you ever dreamed of spending the Christmas holidays in the Swiss Alps? Baur Au Lac Hotel was established near a beautiful lake in the 1800’s. They will have one of the tallest Christmas trees in their area. Stay at this hotel and you will get a taste of Swiss holiday favorites. And you will also get taste of some of their music.
- Has the climbing bug got into you? You might want to go to Tanzania. There are places that will serve you roasted turkey and other delicious treats. And you can also do as much climbing as you want.
- Or are you looking for something that is luxurious? If that sounds more like you, you might want to try Hotel Bel-Air which is in Loos Angeles. Pastry chef Tiffany Pascua will be more than happy to give your entire family cooking lessons. You will also be able to enjoy a four course dinner?
- Has Paris always been on your bucket list? Consider going to Le Royal Monceau where you will be able to revel in all kinds of festivities. They will have igloos that will comfortably house six guests where you will enjoy a tasting experience. You will be eating appetizers and drinking wine.
- Have you wondering what an Irish Christmas would be like? You might want to go to The Merrion, which is a hotel in Dublin. There will be afternoon tea which will feature several delicacies. There will be tasting menus on Christmas and New Year’s where you can sample Irish fare. Father Christmas will make an appearance on Christmas Eve, followed by an evening of caroling.
I’m crazy about Christmas. I love the plays and parties, and all the decorations. I love the the Hallmark movies, even if I know they are cheesy and predictable. I love the excuse to gather with family and friends.. But anyway, let’s get back to our discussion of places to go for the holidays.
- The first one we are going to look at today is Ireland. The people at Eske Castle, which is in Donegal, are preparing special treats for everyone who visits them. First, are your forever wanting to help you in the kitchen, but you don’t want the mess? The staff at the castle will welcome your little ones’ help as they bake treats. Children will also be enjoying a visit from Adults are going to enjoy a three course dinner at a fine restaurant. There will also be special programming and live music each evening.
- Does your family love history and tradition? Spend the Christmas holiday in DC. The Jefferson, a hotel there, is going to have all kinds of decorations to celebrate this special season. You may want to go to The Quill, which is a popular lounge where you can enjoy holiday drinks. You might also enjoy having dinner at the restaurant called Plume.
- Do you want to do something different, something exotic for the holidays this yearGo to Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort and Spa. Here you will be more than welcome to help decorate the lobby Christmas tree. Your children will have an opportunity to take a a picture with Santa. They can also take cooking classes with real chefs. The holiday meals are Christmas Eve dinner, Christmas brunch and Christmas dinner.
- Is your favorite part of the holiday all of the shopping? You might want to go to Europe and see their Christmas markets. There are tours that you can go on that will show you several different markets. So which markets might you be interested in visiting?