There are thousands of possibilities when it comes to where you and your family can have the vacation of your dreams. A lot of it is going to depend on what you would like to do. Today let’s look at some more possibilities for your family.
I know I’ve said this before, and I’m sure I’ll say it again at some point, but Disney is a great place for a family vacation, even when you have grandparents coming along. Disney has a pretty wide range of accommodations, whether your family likes the to camp together or stay in a luxurious hotel. This is the place where young children’s dreams come true. And parents and grandparents love seeing their precious children so happy. Disney also has a cruiseline, and I’ve heard nothing but good things about that. Disney has a resort in Hawaii called Aulani, and they also do tours in many parts of the world.
rxnAnd like I said yesterday, there are a lot of great resorts out there that have a lot to offer families. Beaches Resorts has a partnership with Sesame Street. They are excited to welcome a new character named Julia who has Autism. Beaches is trying to reach out to families who have autistic children in many different ways.
Nickelodean has a resort in Punta Cana. Would your children want to meet Spongebob Squarepants, Dora the Explorer, or Marshall from Paw Patrol? Character breakfasts are going to feature all of these favorites. Guests will also want to visit Plaza Orange where you will find all their favorite characters. They also have a children’s program.
I would love to help you book your summer vacation. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Personally, I’m not a huge fan of animals. My siblings have pets, and I like them because whose when we’re with the pets we’re with the people. And this is not a post that will tell you to Fido on your trip just because you can’t stand to leave him home. There are disabled people who truly need the help of a service dog. And I’m also going to say this. , a lot of times, the people who need service dog the most do not have visible disability.
Anyway, stepping off of soap box now… Cunard is a cruiseline that will allow service animals to travel with their owners. The animals must have kennels. They must also have a pet passport and comply with the Pets Travel Scheme.. Okay, the kennel seems. But let’s look at what it takes to get a pet passport.
- The United States does not require this, but it is a good idea to get a microchip put on your pet. This enables you to identify your pet in case you get separated from your pet.
- Your pet needs to be caught up on its rabies shot . So go to your veterinarian, and make sure that gets taken care of.
- Dogs must also be tested for screwworm and tapeworm.. Okay, basically your dog needs a clean bill of health from your veterinarian.
I would love to know your thoughts any of this. Please let me know.
I have several things I want to accomplish today, so let me go on and do this.
Living with a disability makes life more difficult. Sorry.. I know some people who say that their disability is a gift and that they wouldn’t trade places with nondisabled people. And I guess I can see how disability shapes us. But if given the opportunity, I would love to be made well… But anyway, let’s look at some more thoughts on disability travel.
- Having a disability makes it more important to plan out your trips. You’ll want to let the people at your airline, the hotel people, and any other travel vendors know about your disability. This allows them to better serve you. Let them know in adadvance that you are going to need that extra outlet in that room, or that it is imperative that you have a refrigerator for your medication.
- You know yourself and your energy level better than anyone. If your most energetic times are in the mornings, let that be the time you do your big outings. Do you rest most afternoons. Do the same when you go on vacations. Especially when we’re disabled, our bodies do not like getting off our routines.
- You may want to purchase travel insurance specifically with your health in mind. A lot of health insurance companies will not cover you once you leave the United States. Make sure you have everything you might need as far s insurance.
Having a disability makes it more important to plan out your trips. You’ll want to let the people at your airline, the hotel people, and any other travel vendors know about your disability. This allows them to better serve you. Let them know in adadvance that you are going to need that extra outlet in that room, or that it is imperative that you have a refrigerator for your medication.
- Are you going to need a wheelchair? I’m laughing at this because my wheelchair goes with me wherever I go 99.9% of the time. But I know some people who can walk some, but need a wheelchair for the long distances. Or maybe you use a power chair, but it might not work everywhere you would.
Let me know if you have any questions about this.
Sometimes I truly wonder if my computer can somehow sense that there are several things I want to do, and chooses those days to do weird things.. It’s doing better, so I’ll be quiet about that… We’ve been doing some things with family, and so I’ve kind of been doing the bare minimum, but I have so many things I want to do, like getting articles out there, I need to get back into everything..
I’m disabled, have been since I was born. I don’t know anything other than life in this wheelchair. I’ve done a good bit of traveling with my family. But thanks to my Dad and brothers, I don’t feel like I’ve been particularly left out of anything I’ve wanted to do. Now as I’ve gotten older, there are things I don’t want to anymore. So when I saw this article about traveling with a disability, I got curious. So look at this today.
My family has traveled as long as I can remember, and I’ve gone with them more than not… Now I did wonder if I would ever travel out of our fair United States, but now that I’ve done that, it doesn’t seem that difficult either.
If you are disabled and want to travel, please talk to me. I can help you figure out which trips would work best for you. I would love to help you figure that kind of thing out. Please let me know.
My disability is obvious to anyone that meets me. I’ve never been able to hide anything. But I know that it isn’t like that for everyone. I know a lot of people would rather not discuss their disability. But please when you’re traveling, let someone know you need a little extra help. Travel is tiring for anyone. Getting the help you need is going to make life easier on everyone, especially those who are traveling with you.
I think we are going to get back to this discussion tomorrow please let me know your thoughts on any of this.
I’m still not real sure about what is going to happen this next week as far as how much internet time I am going to have and all that. Just to let you know that that.
Okay, let’s get back to our discussion about the disabled going on cruises. Today I think we are going to look at some questions we would want to ask any cruiseline a disabled person is thinking about going on, and then we will look at Norwegian’s answers specifically.
- Do all your ships have staterooms that will accommodate the disabled? will have about forty accessible rooms. Not only will the rooms be more spacious, you will find a lot of nice features in these rooms. They will have raised beds. There will be guard rails in the bathrooms. And these are just some of the features. Just ask about anything you might need. I can always ask your preferred cruiseline.
- Do you accommodate wheelchair and motorized scooters? Yes, Norwegian does. They also have some wheelchairs available for rent. If you are going to need a wheelchair the whole time you are on board bring your own. If need a wheelchair just for shore excursions, renting will be perfectly fine. If you have a motorized wheelchair, you will need to have a gel-cell batteries. And for the younger more disabled guests, all but two ships will have direct elevator access to the kids’ clubs.
- Are all public areas accessible? Norwegian’s answer is, most are. The specialty restaurants should give you no problems. There will be accessible bathrooms throughout the ships. The theaters should all have accessible sections. Disabled adults will be able to have fun in the casinos.
I think we are going to get back to this next week or whenever I’m back online again. I would love to know your thoughts on this.
Sometimes I have certain things I try to do each day. Obviously I do this each day. I check e-mail. And then I also try to do some training on different kinds of destinations or cruiselines, because what’s out there is pretty much limitless… I must confess that I was not coming up with ideas for this, and I was going to come back to this, but I this training module and thought that this might make a great post
For those that have never met me in person, I’m disabled. I have Cerebral Palsy, and I’m basically unable to do anything for myself. I sit in a wheelchair, and have a communication device that doubles as my computer.
To be honest, I’ve never been on a cruise, have no idea what that would be like. I have heard that going on a cruise might be difficult for me. But that might be changing slowly.
And I should also let you know that the course I am taking is through Norwegian Cruise Lines, so we will want to keep that in mind as well.
Here are some things we will want to keep in mind.
- Norwegian has wider hallways and bigger bathrooms making it easier for people in wheelchairs.
- Service pets are allowed on board ships. Norwegian follows the guidelines written up by the ADA.
- Many stateroom are going to have refrigerator in them so that you will be able to keep your medications. If you know you are going to need a refrigerator, all you really need to do is to say something to me.
- Norwegian does reserve the right to say that they don’t think they can accommodate your specific disability. We will need to contact them up front to ask if they are going to be able to accommodate you. This is something I can work on for you.
- I think we are going to get back to this tomorrow. I would really love to know your thoughts about all of this.
You may think I’m crazy, but I like getting up early. I love having quiet in the mornings to read and journal my thoughts.. I’m trying to figure out what I want to do, considering taking some writing classes. I know I want to work on some more articles. I’m also feeling like I need to figure out how to close more sales.. My mind is going a hundred different directions. But I am grateful to have gotten up early and be able to have plenty of time to work.
This is not something we like to think about at all… We like to think that while we are on vacation, that nothing will go wrong and that everything will be perfect. But unfortunately things do come up you’re on vacation, just like they do at any other time. But what are you supposed to do? First, this is one reason it is always a good idea to book through a travel agent. And the reason for this is that travel agents are going to book a lot more hotel rooms, cruises, and things like that than average people. So we are just going to have more pull with these people to make sure that things are done right.
- The first thing you should try to do is not to panic or get upset. Most people in these businesses really do want to help. Know what you want and ask for it specifically. You don’t want to be rude, but at the same time you want to be firm on what you need to happen.
- Travel agents really can help when something does go wrong, so please e-mail me and let me know exactly what is going on and what you need.
- It is also wise to purchase travel insurance. You never know when something might go wrong, and you may have to return home before you planned. Travel insurance helps you cover all those emergencies.
Do you have any thoughts or questions you might like to share? Let me know.
I’m so glad today is Friday. There is no question that I love working on my business, and really hope to do well at it.. But I’m ready for some downtime.
Today, let’s talk some about resorts and the disabled.. Whether you are the disabled person yourself, or someone in your family is disabled, you will be the one who best knows what works and what doesn’t work for the disabled person. Resorts are great places to vacation because you are going to have your lodging, your meals, and your entertainment all right there. Resorts usually have several nice pools you can choose from, as well as children’s programs for when you would rather not have your children around. But are you are going to have more questions about the resort than the average person. What exactly are the rooms like? Will getting a wheelchair in and out be a problem? Am I going to have enough room to keep the things I need to keep my child calm? Is there a way to keep what other guests hear from our rooms to a minimum? Are we going to have good options in the restaurants for the person with dietary restrictions? And are the restaurants going to be family friendly? Do you take special needs children in your programs, and how does all that work? Has any of your staff been specifically train to work with the disabled?
These are some of the things you’ll need to consider when going to a resort with a person with a disability. Or you could e-mail me, and I’ll ask a lot of questions about your family and help you get the info you need.. I would be more than happy to work with you.
I have a dear friend I am going to get to hang out with tonight. So I need to get to some work stuff before work starts.
Once again, we are going to be discussing some great destinations for the disabled. Did you know that there are chairs which will allow disabled people to ski? There is a place in Colorado that makes it easy for anyone who wants to to ski. This resort is called Mount Tremblant and offers a wide variety of activities, no matter who you are. They have everything from ice skating to dog sledding and ice fishing. A lot of their ski instructors have been trained to work with the disabled. All of the rooms are spacious, and will accommodate wheelchairs. And all the restaurants at this resort are accommodating as well. This is not the only resort in Colorado who has accessible skiing. But Tremblant looks like it is dedicated to being the most accommodating… Personally, I don’t think chair skiing is something I want to try. I’m kind of getting less and less adventurous as the years go by.
My family have a house near this place, and I think that’s where we are going for Christmas this year.. The place that is called good for the disabled is Dollywood which is near Gatlinburg, Tennessee. It is an amusement park, but is much calmer than a lot of other parks like this. I have never been to the park itself, those places have lost their appeal to me. But I know the area also has a lot of shopping, and some great restaurants. It is also a beautiful place to go hiking and things like that because it is in the beautiful mountains.
I would love to know your thoughts on this, any questions you might have..
I am someone who likes getting up fairly early and getting the things I need to do done as quickly as I can. But because of my disability, I have to wait on Mom to get me up. Today, early didn’t happen, but anyway.. I’m trying to figure out the best order to do things. This comes first, and then I’m thinking about doing school, and saving my forum “work” for last, since that is what I enjoy most.
Anyway, let’s get back to discussing the best places to take disabled kids on vacation. Splore, Utah has a resort type place that allows disabled kids to go four-wheel riding, horseback riding, mountain biking, and even has scenic flights you can take. Cow Boy fare is what is usually served, but the chefs there welcome you making special requests.. If I could travel by myself, I would love to get to this place, even from the short description I’m reading online.
You may be wondering if there is any way you and your family can take a cruise. Actually, there is. Royal Caribbean is starting to do more and more for the disabled community, especially those with Autism. They offer special programs for the disabled, and are more than happy to cater to those with special dietary needs. Royal Caribbean has made sure that at least part of the crew has been certified, so you can even feel safe leaving your child in the programs and having fun yourself.
I think I am going to stop here and get on to some other things. I think I am going to look up that resort. What about you?