We’re always talking about traveling with children, and how to make that experience go smoother. But what happens when those children grow up, but you still want to vacation together? Here are some tips that just might help.
- With younger children, giving them a figuring few choices along the way, and may make them feel like they are part of the planning process. With adult children, you are equal partners in everything. You need to discuss everything from where you are going to go, what I you want to do, and how much everything will cost. Discuss what everyone is hoping to get out of the trip, and try to fit in what is important for everyone.
- You will also need to discuss who’s paying for what before your trip, discussing each person’s expectations. Might you have a rule like if you are in college, parents will pay, but if you are working we want to pay at least part of the expenses. You will want to discuss this kind of thing before the trip, so that you will not have that to deal with on your trip?
- Your children are now adults living their lives. Most young people would rather sleep in and stay up late. Give them choices about when and where they want to eat. Let them tell you what things are important to them and what things are not. Be flexible.
- Everyone doesn’t have to do everything everything at the same time. Some people might want to spend most of their time at the beach. Other people had would go crazy if that was all there was to do. Some of the siblings are going to be closer than others. They will want to do more together. Others may need to spend sometime by themselves. You’ll find that everyone will be happier if you just go with the flow.
- Sometimes parents think that children would rather be without them. This may or may not be true. Your children may want that time with you just as much as you want it from them.
Let’s look at some more things that you may want to keep in mind when you are on your multi generational cruise.
- Part of the whole reason for this cruise is for the grown ups to catch up, isn’t it? The good news is that most cruiselines are going to have designated places that will be for adults only. Here you will find quiet pools and whirlpools where you can relax and maybe enjoy some adult beverages.
- You are going to want to enjoy at least one adult evening where you will enjoy a nice dinner at a specialty restaurant and then go catch a show.
- I am from a family of eight, and then several of them are married and have children of their own. I’m guessing that we might take five rooms if we were to go, don’t think that will ever happen. But say you have several siblings, and then you and your siblings have children who are now adults. Usually if you get eight or nine rooms, you’re a group. You may get extra perks like maybe a a meeting room.
- It may be wise, at least when you are starting out, to cruise pretty close to home. If everyone is spread out, meet up at the person’s house who is closest to the port, and then drive together. Driving together is going to be way more cost effective than flying in most cases.
- Most families have people who have a lot of different tastes when it comes to what they like to do. Cruises are going to have a lot of different activities that everyone can enjoy. Maybe some people want to play basketball, other people will want to hang out by the pool, and still others may want to take a cooking class. Do what you feel like, and then gather together in the evenings to share the fun.
Everyone is so busy these days. Children grow up and get married and move away from the place they’ve grown up in. Siblings end up in different parts of the country, if not the world. Planning a vacation that includes everyone is an ideal way to catch up. Let’s look at some tips that will help you plan a great cruise for this kind of trip.
- Cruises are pretty much all inclusive in nature. This helps families avoid the “Who’s going to pay for what” discussion at every meal and each activity you do together. This also helps each individual family know how much they are going to pay for the trip. You can decide who’s interested in doing extra things, like specialty restaurants and spa treatments. Sometimes kids even sail for free.
- We love our children, but sometimes we need a break from them. OnAnd sometimes they need a break from us. Most cruises that are good for families are going to have some kind of kids’ club where families can leave their children for a good portion of every day. Most cruises are also going to have to babysitting options so that adults can enjoy the nightlife. That is, if grandparents don’t want to watch them.
- Teens have their own ways to have fun on a cruiseship?. They will have clubs where they can hang out with their their own kind. They will have parties of their own in the evenings.
I am going to be starting a much needed time of vacation in exactly a week. And I think it is going to be a little over a week. I haven’t taken a vacation this summer and really feel the need for one.
We’ve all at least heard the stories of children who would not stop crying while on a flight. That can make even a short trip feel long. No one wants to be that parent who has the crying child. Today let’s look at some things to do with your children while you are flying that will help you avoid being that parent.
- Children love getting gifts, doesn’t everyone? Consider picking up a few little gifts that will help keep them busy. Have them open them one at a time and play with them quietly in their seats. And remember to take some gifts, or get some while you travel, for your return trip.
- You want to bring coloring books and crayons on your trip, and have them accessible while you are flying. I know some children who can color for hours on end.
- More and more, even little kids have their own Ipad. Make sure to get some new games and movies for their flights. This too will keep children busy for several hours. This might be a good idea for yourself too.
- And then there is always good old fashioned reading. Bring books for them to read. Go on and work on that summer reading list that the school sent was home, but no one ever gets around to.
Disney is a magical place, not only for young children, but also for their families. Where else can young children see their heroes up close and personal? Let’s take a look at some other tips that might help you as you plan a trip to Disney World.
- This is a huge place, you are going to want to bring a stroller for your little ones. There is no way they’ll be able to walk everywhere. If you fly, airlines will allow you to bring a stroller at no additional cost. If you do decide that you do not want to bring your own stroller, Disney has them available to rent for fifteen dollars a day. Be sure to mark your rented stroller in some way before you go on your rides. There will be hundreds of other strollers just like it at the parks.
- Okay, so how are you going to eat while you’re playing at Disney? They do have several different kinds of meal plans that are available. Disney has sit down restaurants as well as fast food options. You can choose one or the other, or a combination of both. There will be a lot of restaurants you can choose from. And you’ll probably find that you are going to spend about the same on a dining plan as you would without if you are mostly eating at Disney.
- Don’t leave home without your My Disney Experience App..You will be able to do a lot of different things with the app. From scheduling your FastPasses, to making dinner reservations, and managing your PhotoPass account. This will also work as your room key if you are staying at a Disney Resort. You can also check on how much waiting you will have to do at each attraction.
- Now how are you going to get that parks? Again you are going to have several options. Disney has shuttles that will take you to and from the different parks. This will require some waiting on your part. Uber, or something like that, will mean less waiting.
- Disney is magical for sure, but that doesn’t mean that it never rains. This might be the perfect time to ride the water rides. It might also be a great time to relax and watch the movie, Disney of course.
- Disney World is nothing without their characters from all of their movies. You will want to make sure that you meet all your favorites. The most convenient way to do that is to do Character Dining. You will be sure to meet everyone that way. Unfortunately, that can get expensive, so you will only want to do that with your most favorite characters. You can also meet characters throughout the parks different stations.
Planning a trip to Disney can be a lot of fun. It can also be very overwhelming. Friends and family who have gone before might be able to help you, or they might make it more confusing and overwhelming. There is just a ton to see and do there, and so you will have to figure out what the most important things to you and your family are. Doing your preparation before you leave is going to save you a lot of stress and hassle.
- The first I would recommend would be to keep this trip a secret from your children. My brother did this. His girls thought they were going to school like any other normal day, but my brother put on a movie for them. And it was a while before they figured out that they were going anywhere special. This is a great surprise for any little people. Keeping it a surprise will also help you avoid the million questions of when you are going to leave and all that.
- You know your family. You know the things your kids are going to be interested in. You also know when and how often to plan breaks. There are a lot of tools that will will be available for you online. One great thing for you is Disney’s maps which are quite detailed, giving you the price ranges for their restaurants, height restrictions on their rides, and more. The maps are also going to help you avoid doing as much walking because you know exactly where you are going.
- You might want to ship some of the stuff you’ll need to Disney before you leave. Having snacks in your room is going to be very helpful for kids who are hungry now and aren’t going to be happy waiting until you order dinner at the restaurant. They will even put your groceries in the refrigerator for you.
I would love to know where you enjoy vacationing? Do you and your family love to rent cabin in the mountains, spending your days hiking and biking, and your evenings cozy in the cabin, playing games and watching movies? Or are you more beach people, having fun in the sun during the day, and partying at night? Today we are going to take a look at some more East Coast destinations.
- Let’s start with White Mountains, New Hampshire.. This place has several smaller theme parks that you and your family will likely enjoy. This is also a great place to go hiking and biking.
- Anapolis, Maryland has a little something for everyone. They have a beautiful waterfront and some fantastic restaurants you will not want to miss out on. You will be fascinated by all of the maritime history they have here. And you will also love their historic charm.
- Or you might want to visit South Carolina’s Lowcountry where you can visit some of their historic cities. I’ve heard that Charleston and Savannah are both excellent places to visit. Make that drive and stop wherever you feel like it.
- Have you heard about Florida’s space Coast? Certainly you’ve heard of Orlando where all the major theme parks are. This area also has a lot of great beaches your family can enjoy. And while you are down there, you might want to visit the Space Center at Cape Canaveral.
- Green Mountains, Vermont is kind of like White Mountains. It too is an excellent place to hike and bike. There are rivers and waterfalls that you and your family will enjoy. It is also just a charming place to visit.
I have always lived on the east side of our fair country. And I may be prejudiced, but I absolutely love it. I love seeing green everywhere I go. I love being able to look out and see the mountains somewhere in the distance. I love our lakes and rivers. Today let’s look at some East Coast destinations that you may want to check out.
- Bar Harbor, Maine has plenty for anyone to enjoy, but it is especially great for those love the great outdoors. Here you are going to have access to Acadia National Park. You will love their beaches and their ponds as well. You will also love their seafood.
- Our nation’s capital is on the East Coast, and there is plenty to see and do here. Families will love our National Zoo and Smithsonian. There are all kinds of monuments here that you will want to check out. And you may so want to check out our government buildings and the White House.
- Are you looking to soak up some New England charm? You might want to try Cape Cod, Massachusetts. You’ll love being at the beach and not getting so hot. You’ll also love exploring some of their villages and lighthouses.
- And who can forget the Big Apple? What can’t you do here? You’ve find all kinds of interesting museums and memorials to explore. You will want to try and go to see a play on Broadway. And who can resist shopping at Times Square?
Today I think we are going to look at how to plan a great trip to Ireland. Families are discovering that they like to go and see where their ancestors lived. I’ve heard that this is one of the greenest countries on earth. And your family might enjoy experiencing what a real Irish pub is like.
- Are you a family that likes to be busy from sunup to late into the night when you are on vacation? Do you like making sure that you do and see everything available in that country? Is the point of your vacation to make everyone is stressed during a lot of the vacation? Or is the point to have quality time together?
- Americans may think of Ireland as small, but it has a lot that you can see. And to get good family time together, you will probably want to rent a house that everyone can share and do day trip to see the things you want.
- You will probably want to rent a car if you want to explore Ireland’s villages. Public transportation is mostly going to be in the big cities. Renting two vehicles is going to give you even more flexibility. It will allow the group to split up from time to time.
- Your family is likely going to have a couple of people who like to do the planning. It’s a good idea to let them be in charge. They are likely the ones that are going to talk to me as the travel agent who books everything for you. But your whole family will want to sit down and talk about what kinds of things everyone hopes to get out of this trip. And the people planning everything should listen and make notes of everything. Do your best to make sure you meet everyone’s hopes.
- You will want to plan a couple of activities that everyone in your family will do. This may include visiting some of the important spots to your ancestors. Or you might want to learn a new activities together. Destination weddings are all the rage these days. Is anyone engaged in your family? Or might anyone want to renew their vows? Everyone will want to get in on the special occasion. But you do not want every day planned down to the minute. Have some days where you just relax and have fun together.
Yesterday we started discussed what you might experience if you were to go on your first cruise. Let’s continue that discussion.
- Yesterday we mostly discussed that very first day. So now we are going to start with day two. You should have all your appointments set up and be able to relax and enjoy yourself. You should enjoying the time at sea as well as exploring the different ports of call.
- Also, try doing a mix of family time and sending your children to the kids’ market club so you can enjoy some adult time. Ships will usually have some kind of was childcare in the evenings so you and your spouse can do some dates. Go have some nice dinners. Take the opportunity to go watch some plays, or go hang out in the clubs.
- If you are on a seven day cruise, make yourself take sometime out from all of the fun to pack up. You will also want to make sure you agree with the charges they have on your account.
- Ships really like it if you can be off the boats by eight in the morning on the day of departure. I’m guessing that the crew wants to do their clean up and preparation for their next guests so that they might be able to enjoy a little rest and relaxation themselves.
We are going to look at one more thing and get back to this part of the discussion tomorrow.
- Especially when you go on a low end cruise, their goal is to keep your fare as low as possible, and then try to upcharge you at every turn. You will want to set a budget for yourself each day so that you are not spending more money than you thought you would on this trip. The things you are going to have to be careful of are gratuities, shore excursions, and souvenirs.