Let’s get back to some common misconceptions about travel.
- Some people say that in order to book the cheapest flights, you should get on the internet at midnight on Tuesday. While it used to be true that airlines would generally post their sales around this time, this is no longer necessarily true. Airlines are changing a lot about their business models and things like that. The experts say that booking your domestic flights six to eight weeks prior to your departure is usually your best bet.
- A lot of people say that you should always fly economy, that it’s just a waste to upgrade to business or first class. You may want the comforts and the perks that come with the higher class seats, especially if you are on a super long flight. And you can find some great deals on the upper class flights. You may have to look a little more, but it could be well worth it.
- People say that you should never travel with a newborn. Is there any child more flexible than a newborn? They need sleep, but they can pretty much do that anywhere and any time. Light and dark mean little to them. They need to eat, but milk is their only food. The only other thing that they really need is you, their parents.
- They say that you should not visit the Caribbean in the summer or other parts of the world during the rainy season. But if you are looking to get away from the crowds, that is actually one of the best times to go. The crowds go when the weather is supposed to be perfect. Maybe you actually enjoy rainy weather. Maybe you don’t want to be outside much anyway. Or maybe you just want to get lower prices on your trip.
Unless something happens that I do not know about, I will not be online the rest of the week.
We seem to be getting out of this recession of ours, but who isn’t interested in saving money? I mean, everyone has bills to pay, things they’re saving money for, and things like that. And besides, who wants to spend more money than they have to.
- I feel like I’ve said this on this blog a couple of times lately, but traveling during the off season is going to save you a lot of money. Hotels, and other travel vendors, enjoy making money when things get slow just like anyone else. Not only are you likely to get good deals, you will also probably get better service than when everyone is rushing around because the hotel is full.
- A lot of cities have free events. It could be a movie under the stars. Or it might be a free tasting party. You will be able to find about the free events online. And this is usually a great way to meet the locals.
- When you can, it is better to book the different components of your trip together. I mean, book your air, your hotel, and your car rental all together. A lot of these travel websites like Expedia and Priceline make that easy.
- And remember that you can travel other ways than by car or by air. Trains and buses can also take people from here to there. And these are often less expensive.
It’s been a crazy week, and I think I am going to be off some later next week. We will see how everything works out. Today let’s have a little fun.
- Outside of Paris, there is this cottage that is made out of chocolate. They have books made out of chocolate, as well as a dresser, a clock, a fireplace [wonder how that works] are also all made of chocolate. You can not eat anything or mess anything up. Not certain what the point of this place is. Sorry.
- California has passed a law that restaurants can not give you straws unless you ask for them. Straws can be dangerous for children, I understand that. Straws can be dangerous for animals too.
We’ll get back to more normal stuff Monday.
We are going to get back to the Disney discussion, tomorrow hopefully. But I do not have long today, so let’s look at some times when you may really need a travel agent. Sure, I know that anyone can go online and book trip. But sometimes you want to make sure that everything done right.
When you think of your honeymoon, you don’t want to remember it as a disaster trip. This is hopefully a trip you get just once in your life. You want it to be special. You want it to be right. Travel agents will also be able to give you special perk. Planning a multi generation trip is not something you want to do on your own. You are going to have a lot of different people coming to one decision. Your family may have someone with special needs. Your family is going to have a lot of different interests. Figuring out a place that everyone will enjoy is difficult. Let a travel agent help you plan everything. And maybe you’re planning your first big international trip. Do you want to do all of that research by yourself? Let a travel agent help you plan the the big trip. Tell them what is important to you and what isn’t.
I’m sorry. I had every every intention of doing this yesterday. But things kept coming up. We were visiting with my sister, and things kept coming up. But anyway, I’m here now.. I am going to be doing some different things this week, and I’m not exactly sure how much I am going to be online. We will just have to wait and see. Okay, let’s look at some other things that might be different when we go to other countries.
- The website I’m reading says that brand name items are more expensive in other countries. I’ve read in a lot of places that just the opposite is true. It might depend on what items you’re looking at.
- Most the time we Americans Have the latest and greatest when it comes to laptops and gaming systems. Other people in other countries may not be as fortunate.
- We are usually more advanced all around than other people, and that that certainly includes our medicine. The medicine we have here is usually better and often less expensive than in other countries.
- We are also going to get the newest music and movies before everyone else. I am not sure whether that is referring to American entertainment.
- Unless you are going somewhere that is very remote, learning their language is nice but not necessary. Countries love American tourists, and so English is an extremely popular language to learn. And they love to practice what they are learning.
Here in the United States, we kind of take some things for granted, things that may or may not be true in other countries. Let’s look at some of those things today.
- Those who love taking hot baths, which I do, need to remember that hot water is a luxury in other parts of our fair world. Sometimes you will have to run the water for quite a while before it gets warm. Other times you are not going to get hot water at all.
- We have shower curtains, allowing one person to bathe while someone else is on the toilet, allowing both semi-privacy. But in many other countries, they don’t usually have shower curtains.
- And do not assume that you can throw your toilet paper into the toilet. Some countries allow that. Others do not. Usually if they do not allow it, they will have a small trash can near the toilet.
- A lot of places will not have dryers. People actually hang out their clothes to dry. We Americans are spoiled when we think we have to have our dryers to do our clothes.
Traveling by yourself is one thing. You can go anywhere what you want any time you feel like it. Traveling once you’re married is a little different. You have to consider the other person’s needs and wishes. It is still two adults traveling and making memories together. But will you be able to travel once you start your family? Don’t children need a routine to get on and stick to? Can they understand anything about why things are so different? Won’t they hate the different food? Will they do things that will offend the native people?
- Okay, first, I am the oldest of eight, and we traveled ALL THE TIME. Most of our trips were to visit family or friends in places we used to live. We never seemed to mind getting out of our routines. It was nice to visit with loved ones. And every one of us now loves to travel.
- We’ve all seen the meltdown children have in restaurants or on airplanes. The truth is that children are resilient, and the more we expose them to other cultures, the more they’ll want to experience for themselves.
- I know some would call this cruel, but children will eat once they get hungry. Exposing them to many different foods when they are young will be good for them. They may enjoy more than you think they will. Children can learn languages quicker than adults can. It is just a fact of life.
- And hearing other languages will also improve their English as well. Children are more adaptable. They see other children do something, and they’re likely to want to do it too. They’re more likely to make friends wherever they go.
- Travel helps build their confidence. At home, you have your established routines, everyone knows what’s to happen when. Travel can be unpredictable. Problems can come up, and this can help teach children problem solving.
I would love to know your thoughts about any of this.
People say that the perfect time to travel is before you settle down to get married and start a family. But when it comes to cruising, that is not necessarily true because a lot of cruises are going to charge you extra [sometimes even up to double]. Why do they do this? Because most the rooms are going to be occupied by at least a couple, if not more, and the cruiseline is counting on that income. Now it is true that some cruiselines are starting to have mercy on single people, but that is certainly not true across the board yet. Today let’s look at some ways you might get around those steep fees.
- When you first call to ask about booking a cruise, ask if they have any cabins for one, or studio cabins as they’re often called. Norwegian Cruise Line has kind of led the way when it comes to singles’ cruising. With Norwegian, singles are going to have their own area where other people can’t get into. Singles will also have their own get togethers.
- You could also sign up for a Match program where the cruise pair you up with another single who you’ll room with. They always pair people of the same sex so that nothing awkward will occur..You may find a new bestie.
- Not sure about either of these? You can always bring friend along on your cruise. Not only will that help with cost, it will also give you someone to do things with.
I would love to know your thoughts about any of this.
What’s your ideal when it comes to your honeymoon? Do you have a specific destination in mind? Are you like most people and want to indulge in true luxury on your special trip? Is there a resort you want to go to? Or maybe what you’ve always dreamed of as your honeymoon is a cruise. If that last one describes you best, you’ll want to read on.
Today we are going to look at what’s available on Celebrity Cruises first. It looks like every Celebrity Cruise has a party exclusively for newlyweds. At this party there will be champagne and the opportunity to dance to live music. Celebrity is another smaller ship cruiseline that will not have the busyness of the larger ships which most honeymooners will appreciate. Their Classic Romance Package includes turn down service with rose pedals on the bed, and champagne. That will cost you fifty dollars. For $125, you will get their Deluxe Romance Package which includes breakfast in bed, turn down service with rose pedals, and champagne. And their Premium Romance Package, which will cost you $225, will get you breakfast in bed, dinner at one of their specialty restaurants, turn down service with rose pedals, and champagne. I
xf you are thinking about booking a Norwegian cruise for your honeymoon, you will want to consider getting a suite within The Haven, their ship within a ship. When you stay in their Haven, you are going to get priority booking, a restaurant exclusive for their Haven guests, a cappuccino machine in your suite, and gourmet treats in your room each evening. Wherever you decide to stay, you’ll be welcome to indulge in their romance packages. Their honeymoon package includes sparkling wine and chocolate covered strawberries on the day you leave, romantic dinner, and a dozen roses. That will cost you $180. And their deluxe honeymoon package includes all of the above, breakfast in bed and a portrait.
If you do not already have a vacation planned, you might want to considerplanning one for either late August or early September. Today we are going to start looking at some destinations you might want to consider.
- And let’s start with Anguilla which is located in the Caribbean. This sounds like a nicer area with a lot of luxurious resorts.. You are going to find many five star places here.
- Key West is always going to be nice, but you will be able to get a very nice breeze most of the time. Their Duval Street always has a party going on. And surprisingly, some of the hotels are going to have their best rates in the summertime. H
- ave you wanted to visit Vietnam, but haven’t been sure when? Late summer through October is going to be when the crowds die down. This is also when prices drop. You will also enjoy great temperatures light rainfall.
- Mexico is always pretty inexpensive, but this is especially true during the summer months. Places like Cancun, Playa Del Carmen and Tulum are all going to have great rates whether you want a normal hotel or an all inclusive resort.
- Are you craving winter in summer? Try going to New Zealand. You are going to get great rates anywhere you go. And you will also avoid the crowds.