Yesterday we were talking about reasons to cruise. Let’s continue that discussion today.
- Sometimes it can be hard for families to figure out a vacation that everyone is going to love. Adults may plan something that they themselves will love, but their children get bored and just want to play at the pool. Or the parents may plan the vacation to suit their children, and end up coming back just as worn out as they were before the trip. Cruises are going to have something for everyone. They are going to have great children’s programs which will allow adults to do whatever they feel like. Want family time? Cruises are going to have several different options for that as well.
- Cruises used to be pretty standard. You would get on this huge ship with lots of other people and go to some exotic locations?. They still have those huge ships to this day. They also have small ships where you are going to be able to get to know most of your fellow guests. Are you wanting to learn about a certain subject? Cruises allow you to explore all kinds of different topics. They also have cruises that allow you to help others.
- Because a cruise comes with so much to see and do, you will not have to spend hours on end doing research to figure out the hotels and what you are going to do. You may be wise to go to your port city the day before you are to leave just to make sure no problems come up. But once you are on board, everything is taken care of for you.
You guys know I l love Disney. I talk about it any time I can. yes, Disney Cruises are going to have a lot to offer children. It is , they know how to make children happy. Bas every parent knows, make the children happy and you will make their parents happy as well. Let’s look at some ways Disney Cruises make their adult guest happy.
- Even when you are taking a family vacation, that does not mean that you are going to want to spend every single second with them. You are going to love their nursery and kids’ clubs Everything is done wonderfully well in these areas, and a lot of children would rather spend most of their time in these club? So even when you want to be with your children you shouldn’t have to put up with lots of other children.
- However a lot of families do go on these cruises to spend time together as a family. Imagine that? If other people’s children get to be too much for you, you can always go to the adults’-only areas.
- Most children aren’t going to go for the idea of no sleeping while they’re on vacation. Or maybe it is more like their parents won’t let them go for that idea. Anyway the time does come each evening when most the children are in bed and the ship becomes a place that is mostly for adults.
- a lot of state rooms are going to be little more than cracker boxes where you’re likely not want to do anything more than sleep and dress in them This is not true with Disney ships. They know that most of their guests will be families. They aralso going to have bigger bathrooms that are often split up. Disney also puts shower and tub combos in every room?That is virtually unheard of anywhere else.
Let’s look at some more things that you may want to keep in mind when you are on your multi generational cruise.
- Part of the whole reason for this cruise is for the grown ups to catch up, isn’t it? The good news is that most cruiselines are going to have designated places that will be for adults only. Here you will find quiet pools and whirlpools where you can relax and maybe enjoy some adult beverages.
- You are going to want to enjoy at least one adult evening where you will enjoy a nice dinner at a specialty restaurant and then go catch a show.
- I am from a family of eight, and then several of them are married and have children of their own. I’m guessing that we might take five rooms if we were to go, don’t think that will ever happen. But say you have several siblings, and then you and your siblings have children who are now adults. Usually if you get eight or nine rooms, you’re a group. You may get extra perks like maybe a a meeting room.
- It may be wise, at least when you are starting out, to cruise pretty close to home. If everyone is spread out, meet up at the person’s house who is closest to the port, and then drive together. Driving together is going to be way more cost effective than flying in most cases.
- Most families have people who have a lot of different tastes when it comes to what they like to do. Cruises are going to have a lot of different activities that everyone can enjoy. Maybe some people want to play basketball, other people will want to hang out by the pool, and still others may want to take a cooking class. Do what you feel like, and then gather together in the evenings to share the fun.
Everyone is so busy these days. Children grow up and get married and move away from the place they’ve grown up in. Siblings end up in different parts of the country, if not the world. Planning a vacation that includes everyone is an ideal way to catch up. Let’s look at some tips that will help you plan a great cruise for this kind of trip.
- Cruises are pretty much all inclusive in nature. This helps families avoid the “Who’s going to pay for what” discussion at every meal and each activity you do together. This also helps each individual family know how much they are going to pay for the trip. You can decide who’s interested in doing extra things, like specialty restaurants and spa treatments. Sometimes kids even sail for free.
- We love our children, but sometimes we need a break from them. OnAnd sometimes they need a break from us. Most cruises that are good for families are going to have some kind of kids’ club where families can leave their children for a good portion of every day. Most cruises are also going to have to babysitting options so that adults can enjoy the nightlife. That is, if grandparents don’t want to watch them.
- Teens have their own ways to have fun on a cruiseship?. They will have clubs where they can hang out with their their own kind. They will have parties of their own in the evenings.
I know I am going to be taking some time off of work in August. I haven’t taken much time off, and feel the need to step back and relax. But today we are going at some more cruise tips.
- Research the destinations that you will be going to on your cruise. You will not want to do that on your cruise. You won’t want to take time out of all the fun. And some cruises are going to have slower internet. You want to know which excursions you’re planning on doing, and also get a feel for how much you will be spending.
- Your cruise crew expects tips. But are those tips already part of your fare? Will they be taken out of your onboard credit? Or are you going to need cash to reward your favorite crew members? You will need to know what is expected of you before you board. You should get a schedule for the following day in your room each evening. You will want to take a look at that, and at least get a rough idea of what you want to do.
- Pack a bag that you will carry on to that ship yourself so you will be sure to have everything you want with you. They are going to help you with luggage, but it may take a rather especially on a large ship. Bring a change of clothes and your toothbrush. On your cruise, you will also want to bring your swim suit with you so you can relax beside a pool.
We are going to look at some more cruising tips.
- If you have not been on a cruise, you may have no idea how to choose which cruiseline to go with? I’ve explained this before, but the general rule is that the less you pay up front, the more you’re likely to pay once you board the ship. So if you cruise with someone like Carnival, they are going to want you to pay more tips, you’ll pay when you go some of their restaurants, and a lot of little things like that. When you go with someone like Holland America, you are going to pay more up front, but more will be included. and I’m pretty sure cruiselines like Viking and Cunard are going to charge even more, but give you even more once you board.
- A lot of lines are going to have two to four day cruises so that you can test them out and see how you like it. This is perfect if you have never taken a cruise, or haven’t taken a cruise with that particular line. It will help you figure out whether you enjoy cruising without investing too much time or money.
- Don’t worry about getting seasick. Most cruise ships are huge, and you are not going to feel a thing. But if you want to take some anti motion sickness medicine just in case, do that. The ships are going to have shots they can give you if you get desperate.
- Most cruises have a range of time where you can board. They don’t want everyone coming on at once, that would be insane. But those who are new to cruising will want to get there as early as they can so they can get things figured out.
Yesterday we started discussed what you might experience if you were to go on your first cruise. Let’s continue that discussion.
- Yesterday we mostly discussed that very first day. So now we are going to start with day two. You should have all your appointments set up and be able to relax and enjoy yourself. You should enjoying the time at sea as well as exploring the different ports of call.
- Also, try doing a mix of family time and sending your children to the kids’ market club so you can enjoy some adult time. Ships will usually have some kind of was childcare in the evenings so you and your spouse can do some dates. Go have some nice dinners. Take the opportunity to go watch some plays, or go hang out in the clubs.
- If you are on a seven day cruise, make yourself take sometime out from all of the fun to pack up. You will also want to make sure you agree with the charges they have on your account.
- Ships really like it if you can be off the boats by eight in the morning on the day of departure. I’m guessing that the crew wants to do their clean up and preparation for their next guests so that they might be able to enjoy a little rest and relaxation themselves.
We are going to look at one more thing and get back to this part of the discussion tomorrow.
- Especially when you go on a low end cruise, their goal is to keep your fare as low as possible, and then try to upcharge you at every turn. You will want to set a budget for yourself each day so that you are not spending more money than you thought you would on this trip. The things you are going to have to be careful of are gratuities, shore excursions, and souvenirs.
We are always talking about cruises on this blog. But maybe you’ve never been on a cruise, or maybe you have a friend who has never been.
- The first thing I’d recommend is talk to me about booking your cruise. You are not going to get the best deal, or the best cruise for you, without help. It can get confusing. I can help you navigate all of it by talking to you and asking you the right questions. And the cruiseline, along with anything else you might need, will pay me, so I charge nothing else.
- You may be at sea most of your first day, but you will certainly not be bored. Most cruise ships are going to have plenty for you to do. There will be all kinds of sports you can participate in. They will have shows you can watch, and shops you’ll enjoy walking around.
- That first day is the time to go to figure out when you are going to get your spa treatments and your reservations for the specialty restaurants. When you get to your stateroom, be prepared to meet your room attendant. This person is going to tidy your room, not once but twice a day..
- You should be able to choose between fixed and flexible dining plans during the booking process. Your keycard which will also function as your credit card will list your dining times and table number. Go to the dining room and make sure that your table works for you.
In the old days, eating on a cruise was pretty simple. You would be put at a table, and you would eat with the same group of people three times a day. You would usually be given a choice between early or late dining. And you might get some kind of afternoon snack. But boy, has cruise dining changed over the years. Let’s look at some of what’s available today.
- Nearly all cruise ships are going to have a main dining room where you and your family can eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Most cruiselines have done away with assigned tables, and you should be able to be pretty much eat any time you would like. And did I mention that you would have to dress for each meal? They’ve done away with that as well.
- You will also have less formal dining options. You will usually have some kind of buffet, and that will typically be opened twenty-four hours a day. Ships are also going to have places where you can get pizza or hamburgers.
- Most of the rooms are pretty small, and I think most people would prefer to be out with the other people. But maybe you want to relax in front of a movie. Or maybe you want a quiet evening with your spouse. Most cruiselines have room service at no additional charge. Though some river cruises are not going to have this option at all.
- And then there are specialty restaurants. These restaurants often offer superior food and a higher class of service.
If you and your family are still looking for that perfect summer vacation, you might want to consider cruising with Disney. From what I hear, these are top notch cruises, where you’ll be pampered your entire cruise. Now I have to say up front that cruising with Disney is going to cost more than a cruise with Carnival or Norwegian, but you are going to get a lot more bang for your buck. Let’s take a look.
And no, there is no such thing as a discounted Disney Cruise. Cruises give discounts when they are not getting enough passengers, and Disney never has that problem.
You are going to want to take one of these cruises while your children are between the ages of five and twelve, or when they’re crazy about Disney and their movies. Disney loves children. From the moment you step on board, your children will be greeted by Disney characters. Characters go on all of the ships. If I am remembering right, the story is that characters live at either Disney World or Disneyland, but they go on vacation, like you are, for cruises and such.
- They do have childcare for children under age three. You will be paying extra for children under three, please be aware of that. The nursery is staffed by well trained professionals. You are going to get reports on how your child did each day.
- When your child is three, you will be able to check on your child and how he is doing in the nursery by your cruise phone.
- Every person who works on one of these cruises is going to love kids. You’ll see it when you go to eat. You’ll see it when your room is being cleaned.