We’re always talking about traveling with children, and how to make that experience go smoother. But what happens when those children grow up, but you still want to vacation together? Here are some tips that just might help.
- With younger children, giving them a figuring few choices along the way, and may make them feel like they are part of the planning process. With adult children, you are equal partners in everything. You need to discuss everything from where you are going to go, what I you want to do, and how much everything will cost. Discuss what everyone is hoping to get out of the trip, and try to fit in what is important for everyone.
- You will also need to discuss who’s paying for what before your trip, discussing each person’s expectations. Might you have a rule like if you are in college, parents will pay, but if you are working we want to pay at least part of the expenses. You will want to discuss this kind of thing before the trip, so that you will not have that to deal with on your trip?
- Your children are now adults living their lives. Most young people would rather sleep in and stay up late. Give them choices about when and where they want to eat. Let them tell you what things are important to them and what things are not. Be flexible.
- Everyone doesn’t have to do everything everything at the same time. Some people might want to spend most of their time at the beach. Other people had would go crazy if that was all there was to do. Some of the siblings are going to be closer than others. They will want to do more together. Others may need to spend sometime by themselves. You’ll find that everyone will be happier if you just go with the flow.
- Sometimes parents think that children would rather be without them. This may or may not be true. Your children may want that time with you just as much as you want it from them.
Everyone is so busy these days. Children grow up and get married and move away from the place they’ve grown up in. Siblings end up in different parts of the country, if not the world. Planning a vacation that includes everyone is an ideal way to catch up. Let’s look at some tips that will help you plan a great cruise for this kind of trip.
- Cruises are pretty much all inclusive in nature. This helps families avoid the “Who’s going to pay for what” discussion at every meal and each activity you do together. This also helps each individual family know how much they are going to pay for the trip. You can decide who’s interested in doing extra things, like specialty restaurants and spa treatments. Sometimes kids even sail for free.
- We love our children, but sometimes we need a break from them. OnAnd sometimes they need a break from us. Most cruises that are good for families are going to have some kind of kids’ club where families can leave their children for a good portion of every day. Most cruises are also going to have to babysitting options so that adults can enjoy the nightlife. That is, if grandparents don’t want to watch them.
- Teens have their own ways to have fun on a cruiseship?. They will have clubs where they can hang out with their their own kind. They will have parties of their own in the evenings.
Today I think we are going to look at how to plan a great trip to Ireland. Families are discovering that they like to go and see where their ancestors lived. I’ve heard that this is one of the greenest countries on earth. And your family might enjoy experiencing what a real Irish pub is like.
- Are you a family that likes to be busy from sunup to late into the night when you are on vacation? Do you like making sure that you do and see everything available in that country? Is the point of your vacation to make everyone is stressed during a lot of the vacation? Or is the point to have quality time together?
- Americans may think of Ireland as small, but it has a lot that you can see. And to get good family time together, you will probably want to rent a house that everyone can share and do day trip to see the things you want.
- You will probably want to rent a car if you want to explore Ireland’s villages. Public transportation is mostly going to be in the big cities. Renting two vehicles is going to give you even more flexibility. It will allow the group to split up from time to time.
- Your family is likely going to have a couple of people who like to do the planning. It’s a good idea to let them be in charge. They are likely the ones that are going to talk to me as the travel agent who books everything for you. But your whole family will want to sit down and talk about what kinds of things everyone hopes to get out of this trip. And the people planning everything should listen and make notes of everything. Do your best to make sure you meet everyone’s hopes.
- You will want to plan a couple of activities that everyone in your family will do. This may include visiting some of the important spots to your ancestors. Or you might want to learn a new activities together. Destination weddings are all the rage these days. Is anyone engaged in your family? Or might anyone want to renew their vows? Everyone will want to get in on the special occasion. But you do not want every day planned down to the minute. Have some days where you just relax and have fun together.
Happy Monday everyone. I have several different things going on. But first, I want to make sure this does get done. Today let’s get back to our discussion on how to survive visiting family.
- First, if you are relatively [ha ha] close by, and have a difficult family situation, consider going for a very limited time. Maybe you could just go for a day. Keeping your visits short will help prevent baggage being brought up. It might be more relaxing for everyone involved.
- If extremely short visits are not a practical option for you, remind yourself, and maybe more importantly, remind your spouse, that this visit is only temporary. You will return to your own home. You will return to the life that you love.
- If it is possible, try spending some one on one time with the family member you have most trouble getting along with. Try to do this when no one else is around, so that others are not made uncomfortable. Is there anything you like doing together? Try doing that.
- If you are the one who has left the family home, and the rest of your family lives right around there, take some time to be with each person individually, not leaving anyone out.
- Just because you are visiting them does not mean you have to spend every second of every day with them. Take some time to enjoy the are area. Enjoy an old favorite restaurant. Visit your favorite haunts. Do some date nights.
- They are your family, you know the hot spots. Does your mother think you’re too hard on your children, and your sister think you’re too easy? Try to avoid conflict when you can.
I am a firm believer in Christian family values. Porn is awful on so many levels it isn’t funny.
And more and more hotel chains are starting to put their foot down and say that they won’t offer on demand porn. That is less revenue that is going to that industry, which is a good thing in my opinion.
Sadly, art of the reason that hotels are no longer offering it is it’s so available was the internet. And who doesn’t bring a laptop or tablet on a trip these days? We aren’t going to find that problem goes away over night, but this is a step in the right direction.
And the better news to me is that the article I’m reading says that the hotels that are likely to lose business are the hotels that do still sell on demand porn because people see it as something not to support.
I would love to hear your thoughts on this.
I started looking at the travel news, and today they had something on how America is really not taking vacations these days. And to be honest, that is hard on us travel agents because when people don’t take vacations, we can’t book them.. Yes, I know that retired people are traveling, and that there is a lot of business travel. But my heart is really to work with families. I want to help families reconnect through travel. Everything I do, whether writing thi blog, writing this book, trying to talk to more people about my business, is geared to help families reconnect through travel.
Anyway, Americans are getting less time off work than most Europeans. But the sad truth is that most Amercans are simply not taking the vacation time that they do get… We are human, and all of us need downtime. No matter how much we enjoy our jobs, work is always at least somewhat stressful. We need time where we leave the pressures of work behind and just relax with family and\or friends. We also need time by ourselves to be with the Lord.
I would love to hear your thoughts on this.
I’m getting a little later start for a variety of reasons.. With summer coming, I keep hoping for more booking to come my way. We’ll see how everything turns out there.
Tuscany is now turning to try to market more to families. There are still churches to explore and art to admire, of course, but they are trying to have more appeal to families. They have renovated places which allows for more family gathering for meals and such. And here I’m not just talking about you your spouse and your two or three children. When Europeans talk about having a family gathering, talking about grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins.
You can get villas that can accommodate larger families. There will be at least one swimming pool that will be available to you. If there are babies or small children in your party, let me, your travel agent, know and I can make sure you will have all the necessary equipment in the villa.. Maybe your parents have a special anniversary coming up, and you want to get everyone together to celebrate… Let me know if you are interested.
These are crazy days, and I am so glad to be getting to work earlier.. You may be asking, “You work from home, can’t you get up and get started whenever you want?” Because of my disability, I can’t get out of bed, or to bed for that matter, by myself. Mom has to get me, and she has a lot going on with my grandparents here.. So anyway, let me get this done so I can get to some other things.
Disney is going to be doing a new show on their cruise ships… Okay, I know I talk a lot about Disney on this blog. But Disney is one of the most popular destinations for families, especially those with small children. And when I tell people I’m a travel agent, one of the things I often hear is, “I would love to take my family on a Disney cruise”… So anyway, Disney is about to put their new show called “Tangled” on their ship Magic.
To get personal once more, my family has this little controversy. My sister and her daughter love “Tangled”, and don’t like “Frozen” much. But my brother and his daughters absolutely love “Frozen”. Personally I love both.. But anyway for those of us who love the movie, the show is going to follow the movie pretty closely… Please let me know if you are interested in going on a Disney cruise.
Summer is around the corner… If you aren’t feeling it yet, you will soon. How do I know it’s summer? People are starting to ask me to help them plan their summer vacations, and I love it. I need to get some different things today but first to make sure this gets done.
When you think about your summer vacation, you’re likely deciding how much of a vacation you can afford, what kind of hotel you want to stay in, and hoping that your hotel will have a nice pool… And yes, having downtime is important when planning a vacation, you may want to have a few structured activities planned as well. So why not consider planning your trip so you and your family can see some great museums… Before writing this post off, remembering that your parents drug to museums every single trip you made, and you swore to never do that to your child, museums have gotten more interesting through the years.. Museums come in all shapes and sizes, in all kinds of towns. You don’t have to go to large cities to find good museums.
Think about the things that your children love to discuss around the dinner table. Are your children into history? Do they love science and are always trying some crazy experiment? Or maybe you’re raising future artists who would like to see paintings and sculptures?.. If you let me know what your family’s interests are, I can help you come up with some different places you can visit. Let me know if you are interested…
This past weekend was kind of crazy. But more on point for this blog, I’m starting to talk to several people about trips, which is kind of exciting. But while I’m waiting to hear back from people, I am going to get my other Work done.
When you think of Vegas, you probably think of “sin city”, and sayings like, “what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas,”. But what you may or may not know is that your hotel rooms, food, and things like that are subsidized by the gambling done there. So if you are looking for an inexpensive vacation, Vegas just might fit the bill. But what family friendly activities are there to do there? There are several amusement parks in the area. And that includes water parks. There are even rides that children can enjoy right on The Strip. You might want to stick to the daylight hours for The Strip though.
Is your child into crime shows or reading mysteries? Your family might enjoy CSI: The Experience where you will be able to work on simulated crime scenes together.. It’s a fun way to spend time together.. And of course, most places you will be staying will have great pools you can enjoy together.
Please let me know if your family is interested in going to Vegas together.