We’re always talking about traveling with children, and how to make that experience go smoother. But what happens when those children grow up, but you still want to vacation together? Here are some tips that just might help.
- With younger children, giving them a figuring few choices along the way, and may make them feel like they are part of the planning process. With adult children, you are equal partners in everything. You need to discuss everything from where you are going to go, what I you want to do, and how much everything will cost. Discuss what everyone is hoping to get out of the trip, and try to fit in what is important for everyone.
- You will also need to discuss who’s paying for what before your trip, discussing each person’s expectations. Might you have a rule like if you are in college, parents will pay, but if you are working we want to pay at least part of the expenses. You will want to discuss this kind of thing before the trip, so that you will not have that to deal with on your trip?
- Your children are now adults living their lives. Most young people would rather sleep in and stay up late. Give them choices about when and where they want to eat. Let them tell you what things are important to them and what things are not. Be flexible.
- Everyone doesn’t have to do everything everything at the same time. Some people might want to spend most of their time at the beach. Other people had would go crazy if that was all there was to do. Some of the siblings are going to be closer than others. They will want to do more together. Others may need to spend sometime by themselves. You’ll find that everyone will be happier if you just go with the flow.
- Sometimes parents think that children would rather be without them. This may or may not be true. Your children may want that time with you just as much as you want it from them.
I’d bet that if you asked your children where they would like to go on vacation, they would say that they want to go to Disney World. But unfortunately, the “most magical place on earth” is also known as the “most expensive place on earth”.. Today let’s look at some ways you might be able to save on your next Disney vacation.
- When you go to Disney, you will pretty always want to stay on property. And yes, that is even true if you are trying to save money. There are some what they call “Value Resorts” that are pretty comparable to other hotels in the area. Some of these hotels are going to have their own entertainment. You will always receive free transportation when you stay at one of Disney’s resorts, and you will be able to take advantage of their “Magic Hours”. And one more advantage of staying at a Disney resort is that sometimes you can get a great deal on their din plans.
- Disney has a whole lot to offer families, so much so that you will want to plan out your trip. You will want to decide which rides you want to use your Fastpasses. You can even book the time ranges that you want to go on these rides. Disney also has a lot of character dining experiences you can take part in. You will just need to figure out which ones would mean the most to your children.
- Okay, yes, Park Hopper Passes are going to cost you a little extra, but getting these will allow you to get into any park that you want. You can actually switch parks several times a day. And this will probably allow you to stay fewer days. Let’s get back to this discussion tomorrow. I would enjoy hearing your thoughts on any of this. I would also love to help you plan a trip to Disney.
Tomorrow is the fourth of July. Are you going to be celebrating with friends or family, maybe enjoying a cookout? Is a family vacation in your future? Today we are going to look once again at an extremely popular type of family vacation, a multi generational trip.
- I would love the first thing that you do to be to talk to me about your trip. I would love to help you figure out all the details of a trip like this. Say you are from a family of four, everyone is now married and has three kids. If you bring your parents, you are going to have a group of twenty-two people, and that is a lot to figure out. And I know I say this a lot, but I book the different elements of the trip. I do not charge you anything to work with me.
- One of the first things you will need to figure out is is is how much you want to spend on this trip. Sometimes grandparents decide that having everyone together is worth them footing the bill for everyone. But most the time, each family unit pays their own way. You need to discuss how much each family can spend.
- What kind of trip is your family wanting to take. Would you like to just rent a condo somewhere, either at beach or in the mountains somewhere. Do you want to do the cooking and cleaning for your time together? Or would you rather go somewhere where all those mundane tasks are taken care of? There are resorts and cruises out there which will allow your entire family to do absolutely nothing on your trip. And you can find these type vacations at very reasonable prices.
Please let me know if you are interested in anything like this. I would love to help.
It is Thursday , and I’m having one of those tired days. But there is work to be done, especially since I’m not sure what this weekend holds.
If you’re willing and able to spend some money, you might consider visiting the Virgin Islands. This is one more vacation that will not require a passport. And who wouldn’t want to be in tropical weather after the winter we’ve had? If this is the first time you will be visiting the Virgin Islands, you will want to concentrate on the three main islands, which are Saint Croix, Saint Thomas, and Saint John. You will want to visit the national park that is on Saint John. There are a lot of great places to hike and camp at this park. Your family may also want to visit Magens Bay which is a beautiful beach that is also near some beautiful mountains.
But if you are looking for something a little closer to home, there is this chain of large indoor water parks called Great Wolf Lodges which has locations across the country. For families looking to just relax and have fun together, this is the perfect getaway, especially if you’re itching for some summer fun.. Let me know if you are interested in either of these. I’ll be more than happy to help you plan your trips.