A lot of people are going to be traveling for this Fourth of July weekend, maybe because it is a longer weekend. Today we are going to take a look at some tips that might help the whole experience be more pleasant if you plan to be among the travelers.
- Whether you are flying or driving, you will want to leave early and come back as late as you can. It is summer after all, it is time to take a real vacation.
- Make sure you plan a reasonable budget. You want to have some fun, that’s for sure. But you do not want to go into debt having. Debt stresses everyone out, and it can be especially hard on a marriage. Find a balance between having fun and spending money. You are likely to find a lot of the fun activities might just be free. Like I said, many people are going to be traveling this weekend. There is going to be
- more traffic everywhere you go, no way to get around it. Make sure to take books you can listen to and games you can play in the car as you travel. Walk everywhere you can once you reach your destination.
- You never know when it might rain or like that. Be sure to check the weather each morning before you head out. And take an umbrella or raincoats just in case.
I know it is not nearly Christmas time, but holiday cruises are getting more and more popular. And if you and your family are even considering taking a cruise as your holiday vacation, you’ll want to start your planning now. Here are some tips that are going to help you to make your holiday cruise even more festive.
- Okay, let’s get real here. A Christmas cruise may be wonderful. But a lot of us have those holiday decorations that it is just not Christmas unless you can see those. Maybe they are from your parents or your grandparents. Don’t go without. Bring them with you.
- Christmas is all about being lazy with the people you love most. Be sure to bring those pajamas you’ll want to hang out in most the morning. Many cruises don’t charge any extra when you order room service, so have your morning feast in your room.
- I know that some people don’t consider it true celebration unless there is some kind of bubbly involved. Each guest is allowed to bring one bottle of adult beverage aboard. So make sure that get packed.
- It is Christmas. Make sure not to forget to bring your gifts to exchange. It is not like someone is going to come in the night and bring all your gifts for you.
- Bring a little gift for someone on your crew. It will be sure to brighten their day.
The security agents at the airport may seem like the world’s biggest Grinches, but try to remember that they are there to keep everyone safe.
- Do you have someone in your family that just loves collecting those snow globes? If they are traveling home by air after the holidays, you will want to get their something that is no larger than a tennis ball. Anything bigger will be confiscated. Anything taken on an airplane will need to be kept in a quart plastic bag.
- Those Magic 8-Balls? They’ll never make it through security. So just don’t bother giving anyone that gift.
- And be sure to put your cigar cutters into your checked bag. These are items that are usually allowed, but agents are given some leeway there. So it’s better to be safe than sorry.
- Okay, this seems a little ridiculous to me, but remember that they are just protecting everyone, kitchen gadgets may also get scrutinized. This is especially true for knives and things that might possibly be used as a weapon. And remember, you may be the most trustworthy person on earth, but you never know who might try to take something from you.
- And then we have batteries. Are you and yours looking for electronics for Christmas? Then again, who isn’t? The regulations on batteries are ever changing. Just wait to get your batteries until you are safely home.
Today let’s look at some gifts that you will want to be more careful with if you happen to be flying for your holidays.
- Um, this should be obvious, but give your security people a break, and do not bring weapons on board. If someone is dying to get their Red Ryder? Buy it when you get to your destination. Or is the gun lover going home with you? Give them an IOU for when you get home.
- And no, security does not even like the fake guns. They still make them pretty nervous. You’ll avoid a lot of hassle if you do not bring anything like that. You’ll be surprised at what all they might frown upon
- They don’t like wrapped gifts either. Okay, let’s remember that some people might wrap a bomb in a beautiful package. The security people do have their reasons. The best way to avoid this is to just put everything in gift bags.
- You will even need to be careful about which foods you bring home. They are going to consider anything spreadable or pourable to be a liquid. And liquids can be used in bomb making.
- They may have mercy on you if you bring some of Grandma’s baking. But if you love her soups, try to get enough of that while you are visiting. Did someone give you a bottle of fine wine for Christmas? Go on and enjoy that while you are with your family.
I have shared some things I like about this time of year. I would love to hear about some of your favorite traditions of the Christmas season.
- Have you ever dreamed of spending the Christmas holidays in the Swiss Alps? Baur Au Lac Hotel was established near a beautiful lake in the 1800’s. They will have one of the tallest Christmas trees in their area. Stay at this hotel and you will get a taste of Swiss holiday favorites. And you will also get taste of some of their music.
- Has the climbing bug got into you? You might want to go to Tanzania. There are places that will serve you roasted turkey and other delicious treats. And you can also do as much climbing as you want.
- Or are you looking for something that is luxurious? If that sounds more like you, you might want to try Hotel Bel-Air which is in Loos Angeles. Pastry chef Tiffany Pascua will be more than happy to give your entire family cooking lessons. You will also be able to enjoy a four course dinner?
- Has Paris always been on your bucket list? Consider going to Le Royal Monceau where you will be able to revel in all kinds of festivities. They will have igloos that will comfortably house six guests where you will enjoy a tasting experience. You will be eating appetizers and drinking wine.
- Have you wondering what an Irish Christmas would be like? You might want to go to The Merrion, which is a hotel in Dublin. There will be afternoon tea which will feature several delicacies. There will be tasting menus on Christmas and New Year’s where you can sample Irish fare. Father Christmas will make an appearance on Christmas Eve, followed by an evening of caroling.
I’m crazy about Christmas. I love the plays and parties, and all the decorations. I love the the Hallmark movies, even if I know they are cheesy and predictable. I love the excuse to gather with family and friends.. But anyway, let’s get back to our discussion of places to go for the holidays.
- The first one we are going to look at today is Ireland. The people at Eske Castle, which is in Donegal, are preparing special treats for everyone who visits them. First, are your forever wanting to help you in the kitchen, but you don’t want the mess? The staff at the castle will welcome your little ones’ help as they bake treats. Children will also be enjoying a visit from Adults are going to enjoy a three course dinner at a fine restaurant. There will also be special programming and live music each evening.
- Does your family love history and tradition? Spend the Christmas holiday in DC. The Jefferson, a hotel there, is going to have all kinds of decorations to celebrate this special season. You may want to go to The Quill, which is a popular lounge where you can enjoy holiday drinks. You might also enjoy having dinner at the restaurant called Plume.
- Do you want to do something different, something exotic for the holidays this yearGo to Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort and Spa. Here you will be more than welcome to help decorate the lobby Christmas tree. Your children will have an opportunity to take a a picture with Santa. They can also take cooking classes with real chefs. The holiday meals are Christmas Eve dinner, Christmas brunch and Christmas dinner.
- Is your favorite part of the holiday all of the shopping? You might want to go to Europe and see their Christmas markets. There are tours that you can go on that will show you several different markets. So which markets might you be interested in visiting?
The birthday season is upon us. Do you know what you are doing, where you are going for the holidays? Today let’s start looking at some places you might want to go this time of year.
- Have you ever been to France for Christmas? You might want to try Monaco, France to celebrate the holidays. They have a hotel there called Hotel Metropole Monte-Carlo. It looks like this is the place for you if you love chocolate, because they will have a lot to indulge your tastes. They also have some fun activities for kids.
- Is having a white Christmas one of your top priorities? Consider going to the Bavarian Alps in Germany. Schloss Elmau is one of the country’s top resorts, and they have some special things planned for Christmas. On the big day, enjoy live piano music. Later that evening, try some of their cocktails.
- If you are tired of our traditions, go to Peru and experience some of. You will want to go to the Country Club Lima, Peru. You will get to enjoy their tea which features some great pastries. Not a tea person? Try some of their delicious hot chocolate.
- Are you looking for a place a little closer to home? A lot of people absolutely love going to New York City the during the holiday season. Kimpton Muse Hotel is one of the hotels that is offering a special for the season. With the “Picture Perfect Holiday Offer”, you are going to get a shopping experience at Bloomingdale’s where you will have a shopping appointment and receive a gift. You will have a photographer to capture your special moments.
- Are you looking to celebrate with all the fun Christmas traditions? To do this, you will want to go to Dallas. Here you will find a nice replica of the North Pole. Go to school with the elves.. Make slime with the Grinch. You can even get close to the animals in the live nativity.
Let’s look at some other tips that might help you during this busy travel season..
- Let’s start with something fun. There are a lot of fun movies where a family goes on a only to have everything go wrong. Steve Martin plays in one called “Trains, Planes, and Automobiles”. Watching movies like that may help you learn to laugh when glitches in your plans do come up. These may also give your family something to discuss while you’re on the road.
- A lot of people don’t seem to be catching on to this. But you can sign up for TSA Pre-Check. It will cost you roughly twenty dollars a year, and the pass basically allows you to skip security lines.
- Whether you are flying or driving, you are going to have some time of not doing much. Traveling time is a great time to catch up on some of your favorite podcasts. Do you like listening to things that make you think, or do you prefer funny stories? With all the podcasts out there, you’re sure to find something that suits your tastes.
- I think most people know that the night before Thanksgiving is one of the most popular times to order pizza. But did you also know that it is a very popular time to go bar hopping? Why, you may ask? Thanksgiving is one time most everyone goes home to visit their families. Wednesday night seems like a great time to see which of your high school friends made it back.
It’s Thanksgiving week. I’m pretty sure I am going to work today and tomorrow, and will have to see about Wednesday. But I am going to take the rest of the week off for sure. Today let’s look at some tips for Thanksgiving travel.
- First, bundle up. You will almost always save money when you book your air, hotel and car together. You could save up to $600, which could be used for all sorts of things, from more travel to getting some nice gifts for some of the people on your list.
- Most everyone wants to take full advantage of the long holiday weekend. No one wants to travel on the holiday itself or the Friday after. Traveling on those days will ensure that you miss a lot of the hustle and bustle. You may want to go Thursday and come home on Friday. Or maybe you want to relax and enjoy the celebration until the following Monday, Tuesday is actually the worst day to fly on either end of the Thanksgiving holiday..
- Who wants to be sick on Thanksgiving with all that good food around? Wash your hands as often as you can. This is especially true if you are flying and around a lot of strangers. You will also want to be sure to take your vitamins. Drinking lots of water will also help.
The holiday season can be such an expensive time of year, especially with all the gift giving everyone does. Your family, of course, expects gifts. There will be office parties where gift exchanges will be likely. And the same is true with church, or small group, parties. Where can you catch a break financially? Today let’s look at some ways you can save on travel.
- If you and your family can be flexible on when you travel, consider traveling either right before or right after the big holidays. You will be surprised by how much you can save when you don’t travel on the holiday itself. You and your family may even want to consider serving at a soup kitchen on the holiday.
- Air is always going to be expensive during this time of year. Consider going somewhere that you can drive to. This should save you a lot of money, even if you have to drive a good distance. All you will have to pay for is gas, and maybe some food.
- It always pays to bundle. Haven’t you learned that with your cable/internet\phone packages? If you have your heart set on going somewhere exotic for the holidays, bundling may be your best option. Try Expedia or other sites like that. Or you can also contact me at email@example.com. I would be more than happy to help you look for a good deal.
- Really don’t care where you go for the holidays, you just want to get out of town for a while? Scour the internet for some great deals. They’re out there, you just have to find them. Or again, you could contact me. I’m always able to figure out a good travel deal.
We are going to get back to this discussion tomorrow. I would love to know your thoughts.