I have several projects I wantto work on. So I’m liking getting an earlier start.
I’m not huge on the Catholic Church calendar.. And I know that Lent is not only observed by Catholics. My church does a service on Ash Wednesday, and that happens to fall on Valentine’s Day, which is kind of interesting if you think about it. But anyway, that means that Mardis Gras will be celebrated in one week? Today let’s look at some of how that’s celebrating.
Mardis Gras is a day people take “to live it up” before entering the lent season. The place it is most famous for being celebrated is New Orleans. I know they always have lot of parades where you are going to get strings of beads.
- The first thing you should know is portable potties on the grounds. People usually plan their trip to Mardis Gras in August. But don’t give up. Things do come up so that some people will have to cancel their reservations. You might have to call around a lot to find a room that has available space, but it might be worth it.
- The city has passed some rules on the parade that you will want to keep in mind. Don’t bring any ladders with you to the parade. I guess if you’re short, you’re just going to have to find a sycamore tree to climb. I don’t think they are going to allow any vehicles near the parade site, so be prepared to do some walking. And there will be no private portable potties available on the grounds.
- You will want to be sure to have a plan as far as how you are going to get to the parade. A lot of roads are going to be cut off to the general public’s vehicles. So it is best to have a plan of exactly what you want to do beforehand. The exception is for people who live or stay right near the area. That doesn’t really make sense to me, but anyway.
- You are going to want to get there extremely early. For example, for an evening parade, people are going to start arriving early in morning.
- And please be respectful of the police. They are there to keep you, and everyone else, safe. And these are not easy shifts. People are going to be drinking and getting crazy. The police will also be working longer shifts. Please follow their instructions.
I would love to know your thoughts about this. Have you ever been to New Orleans for Mardis Gras? What did you think?
Mardis Gras, a time of celebrating, indulgence, and revelry.. This is a time of feasting right before Ash Wednesday and the season of Lent. Today let’s look at Mardis Gras in New Orleans.
New Orleans is already famous for its Creole cuisine and its great jazz. But this city is most famous for its celebration of Mardis Gras. This season is a time for having parades, of dancing in the streets… Okay, the celebration as we know it today started in 1857. And it looks like the only time they did not have the festivities was during the World Wars.
- First, why is the celebration always on different dates? Mardis Gras, Fat Tuesday, is always celebrated before Ash Wednesday, which is ushers in the season of Lent, which is the forty days before Easter Sunday. And since Easter has to do with Passover, it is determined by the Jewish calendar, which means it is going to fall on different parts of our year. This year, it will be celebrated on February twenty-eighth.
- Is it just celebrated on that Tuesday? No, it is not. Some people celebrate this time of feasting from January sixth, which is epiphany. But normally the big celebrations start twelve days before Fat Tuesday.
- How is it celebrated? commerDuring these twelve days, there are all kinds of parades, private parties. And then, on the actual day, in New Orleans, it’s a holiday and almost no one works… Unless you count being in the huge parade work. The people in the parade will throw out all kinds of trinkets to those that are watching. All you have to say is, “Throw me something, Mister,”. You are going to get everything from plastic drinking cups, to necklaces and commemorative coins.
- Who actually puts on this parade? It costs half a bi dollars to put on a parade like this? In New Orleans, there are non profit clubs called Krewes. The older organizations keep much of what they do to themselves. The newer organizations are much more up front up what they do.
I would love to know your thoughts about this or any questions you might have. And of course, let me know if you want me to book a trip for you.
Unless something happens that I haven’t heard about yet, I’m pretty sure Monday is going to be a pretty normal day for me. I think my family is going to gather at the beginning of next month, and I will be taking some time off tonight..
Anyway, if you are looking for a last minute getaway for July fourth and don’t mind dropping some cash, here are some ideas.
- Washington D.C. is a great place to visit during this patriotic holiday. There is always a big celebration on the Mall. The Hay-Adams is a lovely five-star hotel where your view of the celebration will only be rivaled by the White House itself. Of course, there are all kinds of things to do in D.C.. Take a tour of the monument. Explore the Smithsonian museum that interests you and your family most.
- Or maybe you dream of seeing the fireworks on the great Mississippi River. In New Orleans, you are going to find a wonderful hotel called the Windsor Court Hotel. This is also a five-star hotel that has a pool and a nice spa. And the city of New Orleans has many different things you can explore with your family as well.
- Another option would be to go to Boston itself, where the dream of freedom started in the first place. For great accommodations, you will wat to go to is the Royal Sonesta. This four-star will have great access to the Charles River whether you want to go to the celebration or just watch from your hotel window.
I would love to know your thoughts on this.
I’m starting kind of late, but anyway.. I really would like to get some more bookings in soon. If you’re interested in taking a trip, please let me know. Or if you know anyone who wants to take a trip, I would love it if you would let them know about me.
Anyway, let’s get back to discussing guys’ trips. The next place that is discussed in this article I’m reading is New Orleans. This is another city that has a lot of temptations such as gambling. But there is a football team there if your guys are into that. And there is a lot of great food to be had in that area. And what guys’ trip would be complete without lots of great food? There is also great jazz your guys can listen to.
If the guys love to golf, Myrtle Beach might be a great place to send them. There are many different courses they will be able to choose from. And there is a wide range of prices when you go to the different places. Myrtle Beach doesn’t really have an off season, and so there are always great places to stay, nice restaurants to eat in, and they will always have some kind of night life your guys can take in.
Let me know if you are interested in either of these places. I would be more than happy to help you book your next trip.
Yesterday was kind of crazy, because I was doing some other things yesterday morning. And I’ve just heard that we are going to have some dear friends come visit us this weekend. I have several things I need to do, so I am going to get started.
Maybe you are someone who hasn’t taken a vacation this summer. It isn’t too late to do something either with your family or with some friends. Road trips can take very little planning. So let’s get to some actual suggestions of places you might want to visit.
The first place we are going to talk about is New Orleans which is a great place for tourists. We used to go down there when I was a little girl. I know it had a really good zoo. But what I remember most is the bakeries. My used to get several different pastries and split them up.. I must confess that I have a sweet tooth, so I especially loved those times..
Our family has also been to the next place on this list, San Francisco.. And again I remember the food more than anything. We were on a long road trip across the country. We were visiting Fisherman’s Wharf in San Francisco. I know we got several of those ssourdough bowls with clam chowder. You will want to walk around Chinatown. Full House fans will want to see the house where that show was taped. And you will also want to see Alcatraz, but you will want to plan that part of your vacation beforehand.
I think we are going to get back to this tomorrow. Let me know if you want me to make hotel reservations for you.