We are going to get back to our discussion on winter destinations.
- I am going through an article written by someone else, so I know this first one for today may sound a little strange, trust me, it sounds weird to me as well. But the destination is Anchorage, Alaska. Alaska is cold and dark a lot of the year. And while this is especially true in winter, this is a great time to see Northern Lights. You may also want to see the famous dog sledding race.
- You may want to visit San Juan, Puerto Rico, which doesn’t sound nearly as weird to me. There are a lot of festivals in the San Juan area during the winter months. You will not find a deserted island, but you will find reasonable accommodations and some fantastic weather.
- Houston, Texas is huge, but then again isn’t everything in Texas? This is an up and coming vacation spot. They have some historic sites. You will also find some interesting museums in this city.
- Looking for a city that has a lot to do? Try San Diego. They have great beaches. They have a fantastic zoo. There is a lot of great night life. You might also want to get a glimpse of Mexico from here.
- Want to experience some Southern charm? Go to Savannah, Georgia. You will avoid some of the crowds if you go in the winter. But there will be some nice festivals for you to take part in.
Today is one of those days. I was out visiting this morning. And I’ve kind of come home to a bunch of things I want to get done here. Between looking for work and taking a course I’m taking this week. I have done what must be done today, but have a lot of other things I would like to do. But I do want to make sure this does is get done on today.
- Today we are going to start with the Shenandoah Valley. This happens to be where my grandparents always lived, and so I know this to be an absolutely gorgeous place. It is rare that the temperature would get past ninety degrees in the summer.. You will get some snow most winters. There are all kind of quaint little shops to visit, and there is also some great fishing.
- You probably have heard of Napa Valley, but have you heard of Walla Walla, Washington? Like Napa Valley, Walla Walla has some great vineyards. It is also known for being one of the friendliest small towns around. It is also just a beautiful place to visit.
- There is always something to do in Savannah, Georgia, and if you go thirty minutes east from there, you will get to lovely Tybee Island. You will want to go in October when the whole island turns into a pirate’s festival. And be sure to check out their lighthouses.
- Another up and coming city to visit is Asheville, North Carolina. I used to live near this city. there is the Bltmore Estate with their lovely gardens. You are going to find some great breweries. You will also find great shopping and restaurants in this fair city.
I think, I hope, I may have a travel agent host to work with. Finding one is going to be a big relief because I’ve been looking for one for the last few months, and to put it simply, having a host is what allows me to do business. [That didn’t work, so I’ve contacted several other agencies, and we’ll just have to wait and see what happens.]
January was the month where I got to see most my siblings. People were in and out for the first half of the month. And then I had my big trip to Cyprus. I’ll probably start writing about that trip on Saturday. So the whole month kind of felt like a holiday to me. But I know that’s very unusual. If January has been “all work and no play” for you, you might want to consider getting away with the one you love for Valentine’s Day. Today let’s look at some places you might want to consider.
- The Napa Valley comes up first on U.S. News’s list. This place is known for having some of the best vineyards the country. And because so many people are getting more interested in wine these days, they have more and more nice hotels and restaurants for you to enjoy while you are there.
- Is Hawaii on your bucket list? Why not go to Kauai? This is a place where you are going to find a lot of nice beaches. Are you looking for a place to take long walks on the beach, or is taking adventures more your thing? You will also find a lot of nice villas to stay in here.
- Or maybe you want to go to Maui. Is staying in a luxury resort your idea of fun? There are a lot of these resorts on Maui. And again, you are going to find beautiful beaches where you can enjoy many of your favorite sports?
- Looking for something a little closer to home? Maybe you should try Charleston? This is a great place to enjoy looking at historic homes and some great museums. You will find fantastic southern cuisine in this city too.
I would love to know your thoughts about any of this. Please let me know.
I have a confession to make.. My family has a couple of houses in other cities, and we used to go out of town at least once a month. I didn’t like it. I like getting into a routine and staying with it for a while… But we haven’t gone anywhere for longer than a weekend since Christmas, and I’m kind of getting excited about taking some time off.
Today let’s get back to lesser known vacation spots. First, let’s talk about Kiawah, South Carolina. This is an excellent place for golfers. It has been part of the PGA Tour several times. But this is also a beach town where people can enjoy normal beach activities. There are a lot of parks you can enjoy as well.
If you are from the northern part of our fair country and are looking for a quick getaway, you might want to try northern Pennsylvania. There are a lot of great state parks up that way. You might want to go to Niagara Falls while you are up that way. There is also a free amusement park in this area.
Do you want to do a different kind of vacation, you might want to go to Burlington, Vermont, home of the world’s tallest filing cabinet. There is a lake you can enjoy here, and the mountains are not far away. There are a lot of attractions here. Just ask the locals.. Let me know if you are interested in any of these places. I can help you book your hotel rooms or help you rent cars, things like that.